I Need Some Help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhajjj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so I posted in the unhealthy fish forum and no one responded. I REALLY REALLY need some help. here's what I posted:

so a few weeks I posted about a fungal outbreak. killed my plecco, two angels, and my farlowella. also an ich outbreak. so I treated the tank for 7 days like the fungal medicine told me and did a water change as well as throwing ich medicine in there. NOW my German Blue Ram is acting weird. he is hiding in the back top corners of the tank in the dark and hiding over in the lower corner by the bottom with all the plant coverage. he also looks like he is gasping. I just noticed that he has this thing coming from his butt that doesn't look like his normal feces. it's a weird clear-ish thing. and one of my danios has a more bulbous version. can someone please help me. I have no idea what is going on! I tried to take pictures but it isn't very clear because the ram is hiding in the dark and the danio is too fast.
(ps the danio isn't displaying any abnormal behavior. he is just fat)

thank you!

image-2781792316.jpg

image-3033171009.jpg

so I posted in the unhealthy fish forum and no one responded. I REALLY REALLY need some help. here's what I posted:

so a few weeks I posted about a fungal outbreak. killed my plecco, two angels, and my farlowella. also an ich outbreak. so I treated the tank for 7 days like the fungal medicine told me and did a water change as well as throwing ich medicine in there. NOW my German Blue Ram is acting weird. he is hiding in the back top corners of the tank in the dark and hiding over in the lower corner by the bottom with all the plant coverage. he also looks like he is gasping. I just noticed that he has this thing coming from his butt that doesn't look like his normal feces. it's a weird clear-ish thing. and one of my danios has a more bulbous version. can someone please help me. I have no idea what is going on! I tried to take pictures but it isn't very clear because the ram is hiding in the dark and the danio is too fast.
(ps the danio isn't displaying any abnormal behavior. he is just fat)

thank you!

White stringy poop means it has an internal parasite. Never had to deal with it or any diseases in the past 3 years, so I'm no help for treating it.

The danio might have bloat.

So sorry your other thread didn't get you any help. Hopefully we can get you on the right path this time.

It sounds like you may have some type of parasite. Let's get some more information so we can come up with the best plan of action for your tank.

Tank size:
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
Current inhabitants:
Any new additions:
Filter/media:

I haven't ever had to deal with parasites either, but I know the above info will be helpful to find the right treatment plan for your little guys.

Last edited:
So sorry your other thread didn't get you any help. Hopefully we can get you on the right path this time. It sounds like you may have some type of parasite. Let's get some more information so we can come up with the best plan of action for your tank. Tank size: Ammonia: Nitrite: Nitrate: Current inhabitants: Any new additions: Filter/media:

Thank you so much!

Tank size: 30g

all tested last night
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

Current inhabitants: 3 Rose Line Sharks, 2 German Blue Rams, 5 Pink Danios, 4 Endlers

Any new additions: about two months ago I upgraded from 10g to a 30g. I cycled it for about 3 weeks and threw my 3 sharks, danios, endlers and my plecco. along with all the fake plants from the other tank and I added a piece of drift wood. then I put in the 2 rams, a farlowella, and 2 angels. turned out the drift wood started growing fungus and my plecco died. then my angel. I threw the wood away and treated the tank for a fungal infection and while I was doing that I started to see an ich outbreak so I was treating them for that. last night I did a water change like the bottle of the fungal medicine said to do after 7 days of treatment. so all the new stuff I put in my tank has died except for the rams which look like they are having a hard time now.

Filter/media: I have a AquaClear 70g filter

What types of media do you have inside your filter? Do you have carbon?

yes carbon, the white rocks, and the foam thing. sorry I'm not at home to look at the box

Ok, next question...Did you remove the carbon while you treated with the fungus med and ich treatment?

Carbon's only real purpose is to remove medications from the water. That said, I would remove the carbon and start a parasite medication asap.

Also, what do you use to test your water? A cycled tank should have 0 ammonia and nitrite, but have some nitrate. Most hobbyists try to keep their nitrate below 20 ppm. That's the next issue we need to tackle once your parasite issue is solved.

Ok, next question...Did you remove the carbon while you treated with the fungus med and ich treatment? Carbon's only real purpose is to remove medications from the water. That said, I would remove the carbon and start a parasite medication asap. Also, what do you use to test your water? A cycled tank should have 0 ammonia and nitrite, but have some nitrate. Most hobbyists try to keep their nitrate below 20 ppm. That's the next issue we need to tackle once your parasite issue is solved.

I didn't remove the carbon!! oh no. :( I had no idea. I use the API master test kit (not the strips). I just removed the carbon and put the medicine in the tank. while I was out I went to the pet store and picked up the medicine. but I'm very glad you told me about the carbon because I had no idea what that was doing.
how do I control the nitrates? i add beneficial bacterial every other week. I have the microbe lift special blend and it says to do that

While your treating your tank, you might want to add an airstone, or lower the tank level so the filter return splashes into the tank. Ich meds have a tendency to deoxygenate the water. Also you stated your nitrates were zero. That's a red flag as to the tank being cycled. You stated you cycled it for 3 weeks. Was there an ammonia source in the tank at that time. Just running a tank, with no amm. source doesn't cycle it.

I came really attach links well from my phone, but do me a favor and look up an article called something along the lines of I just learned about cycling, but I already have fish. It's a very informative article.

Make sure when you test for nitrate you shake the #2 bottle for 2 minutes solid. If you don't it will give you an inaccurate reading.

Once you've followed the directions for the parasite treatment and its run its course, do a 50% water change and put fresh carbon in your filter for a few days to remove the remainder if the medicine.

While your treating your tank, you might want to add an airstone, or lower the tank level so the filter return splashes into the tank. Ich meds have a tendency to deoxygenate the water. Also you stated your nitrates were zero. That's a red flag as to the tank being cycled. You stated you cycled it for 3 weeks. Was there an ammonia source in the tank at that time. Just running a tank, with no amm. source doesn't cycle it.

I took some of the water out and almost immediately the fish started acting better! thank you for the tip I think that I wasn't getting an accurate reading for my nitrates. I've had my fish in there for almost 2 months

I came really attach links well from my phone, but do me a favor and look up an article called something along the lines of I just learned about cycling, but I already have fish. It's a very informative article. Make sure when you test for nitrate you shake the #2 bottle for 2 minutes solid. If you don't it will give you an inaccurate reading. Once you've followed the directions for the parasite treatment and its run its course, do a 50% water change and put fresh carbon in your filter for a few days to remove the remainder if the medicine.

I think that was the problem with the reading. I only shook it for about 30 seconds I believe but after work I'll go home and try that. I'll also read the article when I get home. thank you so much for all your help. I'll let you know what happens!

Cant offer advice as I'm not experienced enough, just wanted to say I'm sorry you are having to deal with this and hope things work out ok. Digital hug! (( ))

Back
Top Bottom