I need some people's opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshnoob1

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've had a 40 gallon breeder setup for more than a year just sitting in my basement devoid of water and rock.
Some of you may remember a couple threads I started a while ago when I first tried to start the tank. I ran into a couple fairly minor issues and decide to just let the tank sit.
Recently I've gained a newfound interest in my 20 gallon tank which has done pretty well on it's own thankfully and through cleaning up my 40 gallon setup in hopes to sell it in the next week or two I'm kicking myself for not setting it up and actually doing it.
I'm going to be leaving in about half a year for 2 years and I was wondering if it would be worth it to try setting it up again.
I'm thinking maybe people would pay more for an established tank if I set the tank up and sold it in half a year. I could be mistaken though.
I just don't know if trying this again would be worth my time. Please help me...

Selling an established tank is tough...

1. how do you get it safely home?
2. Everyone likes building their "own" community not someone else's

* Just keep it super simple with no substrate and when you leave, give away the fish for free. Thats what I do at times

Ok that's what I figured, I do like the sound of bare bottom tanks.
All I really need is more salt, and a better protein skimmer since the one I have is crap.
Although I know I could do without one, I've only been keeping one fish so I have a minimal bioload...

I think that selling an established tank will be more difficult and you could lose money. I usually see people on Craigslist selling their tanks/fish/corals for less than LFS prices.

There's no way I'm gonna be able to sell this stuff for lfs price to begin with.
Right now I think I'd be happy to sell it all for about $300-400. Idk if that's too much or too little though. (40g breeder tank drilled, 700gph overflow kit from glass holes.com, stand, sump, light from fishneedit, heater, HOB filter)

The stand itself is custom made with leveling feet. It would probably be worth $300 easily in an lfs...

image-1384920285.jpg

image-3642079049.jpg

image-4007043567.jpg

Attachments

• image-354707590.jpg
    image-354707590.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 65
Tough, If you want to start, I would go with a bare bottom fowler with a couple of common fish in the hobby. You could trade them or give them away later. It would be easier to sell if you just had clowns or something. I say go for it, if it makes you happy

Well I already have my 20 gallon tank with corals and rock so I would just transfer it all into the 40 gallon. Anyone else wanna give me their opinion?

Back
Top Bottom