I need to know what is the best sand I can use for it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kymekat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55gallon tank that I am setting up for saltwater. I need to know what is the best sand I can use for it. Do I get live sand or dry sand? Also I need help with rocks. I want to know if I can use Fiji dry rock with a pice of live rock.

there is no 'best' brand, its all up to personal preference, color, grain size, etc. all you really need to know when it comes to sand is not to use crushed coral, and that live sand is a gimmick to get more money out of you, buy dry.

aragonite is good sand as well because it helps buffer your pH because of what its made of.

as for rock you could do a 25% live and 75% dry to help save on cost, the dry rock will eventually become live as you go through your cycle

Dry aragonite sugar sized sand is the best for a SW tank. You used to be able to get it for ~$5/ 50 pound bag at Home Depot on the east coast. Now it's only available at the lfs for around $20 - $30 for a 30# - 40# bag.

Get aragonite that is 0.5-1.02 mm grain size.

The sand will become live when it's coated with bacteria.

You can also use the play sand that's sold at the hardware stores for sand boxes. It's not aragonite, but still fine for use and only cost ~$6/ bag.

Ok, sounds great. As far as the lay sand isn't it quite dirty and filled with a lot of junk? Will I need to rinse several days before placing in the tank? Also how long should I wait before placing Fiji rock and piece of live rock in tank?

Wow, thanks! I just found a sand that they say is safe for fish bowls. It was way cheaper. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom