I really need opinions on what to do now.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I baught a chocolate chip molly from petland awhile back (no I didnt quarenteen it, im a newbie, didnt know and dont have a qt tank - but belive me i've learned my lesson) I infected my tank with callamanus worms... That fish I euthanized immediately, not realizing the rest of my tank was most likely already infected.

jumping forward weeks ahead... I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun to get rid of these little buggers and I cant. I did the anti parasite medications, I tried the panacur canine wormer, i've waited days past all that and there are still red fiberish worms showing. I have lost 3 fish, through all this, there are some that dont look so good, amazingly the babies look to be doing the best (3/4 to 1" long, and a couple MAYBE 1/2")

Now do I euthanize everyone, and steralize everything and start over?? if so how do I steralize everything boiling water? Is any of the water salvagable so that I dont have to start cycling all over again, if I only take like say the top half?? or bad idea?

I jsut dont know what to do. It makes me so sad that I cant fix them... It pisses me off that They sold me a sick fish and that I didnt know what to look for.

please I'll take (mature) advice, all I can get, I need to know what to do, I cant just let them keep gonig like this can I?? The worms are making them skinny and eating them from the inside out... I dont want to loose them all but I dont want to let them suffer and die off one by one either...

HELP!! :bawl:

What percentage is you Panacur? I'm using 10% horse dewormer and having great results.

Here's what I'm doing:
Twice a day mixing 1 1/4 tsp of 10% Panacur with 1/2 tsp hot water until all the Panacur is "melted", crushed freeze dried krill, mixed together, let sit for an hour or so until all liquid is absorbed in the krill, then dump it into the tank. 2 days on, 2 days off.

Mind you, this is for a well stocked 115g tank of angelfish, rams & tetras

What I did with using the Jungle parasite foods (on a 20g betta tank) was
crush the pellets for easier feeding, 4 days on, 3 days off, twice a day. Water changes then using the Jungle parasite fizzing tabs (half the daily dosage but used for a longer time because bettas are sensitive to meds)

What percentage is you Panacur? I'm using 10% horse dewormer and having great results.

Here's what I'm doing:
Twice a day mixing 1 1/4 tsp of 10% Panacur with 1/2 tsp hot water until all the Panacur is "melted", crushed freeze dried krill, mixed together, let sit for an hour or so until all liquid is absorbed in the krill, then dump it into the tank. 2 days on, 2 days off.

Mind you, this is for a well stocked 115g tank of angelfish, rams & tetras

What I did with using the Jungle parasite foods (on a 20g betta tank) was
crush the pellets for easier feeding, 4 days on, 3 days off, twice a day. Water changes then using the Jungle parasite fizzing tabs (half the daily dosage but used for a longer time because bettas are sensitive to meds)

you know im not sure what % my panacur was, ill have to call the vet and find out, I baught it in 1 gram packages and its all used up now. I gave 3grams mixed with warm water and dried blood worms for 1/2 - 1 hr priod to feeding them. 2x a day for total 4 doses. I have a 20 gallon tank. its been 3 days since last does and I still see worms on at least 2 of my fish.

**** edited to add, called vet I purchased panacur 22.2% which contains 2.2g fenbendazde per 10.2grams of granuals*****

did you water go disgusting? My panacur was chalky white and my whole tank is a mess, everything is covered in a white chalking coating, I did a 25% pwc 24 yrs after last dose and put in a new filter with charcol as per instructed and I had to clean all the inside glass at the time, and now a couple days later its still really foggy and my plants look disgusting... not that that all matters that much right now, what I want is the worms gone...

?? please advice on what I shoudl do now... in the mean time when the vet opens up on monday ill call and find out what % wormer I purchased.

Last edited:
anyone else use panacur that can advise? what have you dont, what would you do?

Back
Top Bottom