I think im going to have to use my 1 gallon tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordo124

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a pregnant platy and the only extra tank that i have is a one gallon that i used to have my betta in... So when i see my platy really fat , i will put her in the 1 gallon tank for a while... Is that alright?
Will the platy be alright in the 1 gallon til she gives birth? Then i move her back...

The tank has a filter and an airstone... I think i can get a heater too...

I have a pregnant platy and the only extra tank that i have is a one gallon that i used to have my betta in... So when i see my platy really fat , i will put her in the 1 gallon tank for a while... Is that alright?
Will the platy be alright in the 1 gallon til she gives birth? Then i move her back...

The tank has a filter and an airstone... I think i can get a heater too...

Yes a 1g is plenty for a birthing tank, just be sure to change some of the water out every day/every other day to help avoid a toxin issue.

jetajockey said:
Yes a 1g is plenty for a birthing tank, just be sure to change some of the water out every day/every other day to help avoid a toxin issue.

What toxic issues?

What toxic issue??
Nitrogenous waste excreted by fish respiration and defecation. Fish create ammonia which is toxic to them. In a cycled tank, this ammonia is converted into nitrite (which is also toxic) and then into nitrate (minimally toxic). This process is done by bacteria, but the bacteria take some time to colonize and become effective at converting the waste. So in really small newly setup or newly added to tanks it's a good idea to at least test regularly. I recommend doing water changes frequently since the fish isn't going to be in there long anyhow and it just makes sure that the water is in tip top shape.

I did this in a one gallon for a week, tell I got sick of changing the water every day and released them back in the big tank. I may have over fed, bc after that week the water was looking nasty

If i get a 2.5 gallon tank will i lose sight of the babies?

Back
Top Bottom