I want more green plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KidFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's up all?

So as of late I've been concentrating on a 29 gallon tank. I've been rocking finnex funerary planted plus bi-daylight total of 7 hours a day (before I was doing 9-10. I lowered the light regiment per y'all's suggestion, eureka it worked).

I dose all the goodies besides a solo iron dose. I use plant roots put some of them have uprooted with a tank move.

Water parameters are ideal, I've got two small angels and some black neon tetras (with one neon I saved from petco it was the last one). And two ghost shrimp, as well as a few random snails.

I want more green plants.... If money isn't an option is C02 next in line? Or are there other steps? My plants are growing just at a lighter green color. I can even notice the changes day to day in the bacopa and java fern. I really want the Anubias to take off and hopefully get a bunch of really rooty dwarf water lettuce.

Are there any red plants a medium tech tank can have and flourish?

Thanks guysImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432916176.142137.jpg

If your on a budget you can use DIY co2 until you are able to get a pressurized system.
For reds you can use crypt wenditti 'red'

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just started using a DIY co2 on my 20L. I have seen a noticeable difference in my red plants. And everything is just thicker, greener, and healthier looking. I'm newer to med to high tech plants and co2, but I can walk ya through if you'd like. It's stupid cheap and easy to make and upkeep.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've seen plenty of threads on bow to do it. I wouldn't mind to hear how you do it!?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi! If you're looking to get into Co2, and want to stay on the DIY route. I have purchased a relatively cheap Co2 setup ($36 expedited shipping included "$23 if you ship normal").

Aquarium DIY CO2 Generator System Kit D501 Green&Blue - US$23.99

It does not use yeast and sugar, but uses Citric Acid and Baking Soda. Its nicer because it does not create co2 biologically like yeast and sugar (long build up time for pressure ~24hrs). Its a chemical reaction so its instant Co2 and there is no taper off in co2 production, so its a constant supply. It does not create that white slimy film that must be removed from the diffuser weekly. No stinky alcoholic yeast smell. You can also use glass diffuser w/o a problem.

I have been running it for about 3 weeks now, and I am currently getting 7+ days "2bps" with it running 24/7. If you turned it off at night you could probably double or maybe even triple that time between recharge.

Recipe I am using:
200g Baking soda "~1 Cup" + 200ml water
300g "~1 1/2 cups" Citric Acid + 600ml water

You can buy the Citric Acid in bulk from Amazon ~$15 for 5lbs and $2 for 5lbs of baking soda. Its a cheaper solution up front, but would take a year or 2 before you met the total investment price of pressurized co2 system (tank, regulator, counters, tubing, tank filling, diffuser)

If you use the Co2 properly your tank will flourish in color and life. Provided you do give proper fertilization and lighting.

Plants:
Most red plants that I have found require rich Iron, Medium to High Light, and Co2. I would say if Co2 was added to the mix, you could probably get some Red Ludwigia. Which would Flourish in that tank.

Also your other plants would darken up, and grow like wild fire.

Back
Top Bottom