I Want to Do This 29gal Right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nickfu06

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29gal aquarium set up with a sand substrate. My problem is I don't know how to go about decorating it because this is my first aquarium. The lighting that came with the aquarium is a single 17W full spectrum bulb. I am thinking of doing live plants, but I don't know which ones if any would work with my lighting. More importantly I don't know how many of each to get.

The fish that I plan on getting for my aquarium so far are 9x Harlequin Rasboras, 1x Dwarf Gourami, 5x Kuhli Loaches.

The reason I chose sand substrate is to accomodate the Kuhli Loaches because I hear they like to burrough in soft substrate.

So, the questions are:
1. What plants will work with my lighting?
2. How many of each should I get for the aquarium to look nice?
3. Do I need soil to plant them in or do I just plop them in the sand?

You'll have to stick with low light plants - java moss, java fern, maybe anacharis, with only 17W. That's really low lighting. See if you can find another 17W fixture and double what you have, that should be pretty cheap.

How many plants? however many you want to get a look that you like. The only limit is how much space you have.

Sand is fine if you stick with low tech setup

Welcome to AA!

1 low light plants like java ferns moss crypts and anubias should work.
2 depends how full you want your tank to be. some people want it thick others just one or two there
3 nope some just right into the sand but plants like java ferns moss and anubias work best tied to rocks or wood.

another option is to upgrade the light. you can get a reg hood that uses incandescent bulbs and screw in 2x23w cfl bulbs or a little more pricey but a t5 or cf set up.

I bought the aquarium as a kit so the hood I believe can only support one light. It is a plastic hood with an acylic window where the light shines through, and the light fixture fits snug on top and only supports one bulb. Is there a more powerful bulb I can put in its place? Or would it be better to trash the hood?

I have compact fluorescent already I think? Here are some pictures to give you a better idea.

img_995957_0_bb5632d4a1a3d8bbec7a251add762494.jpg

img_995957_1_8787b9345a22a523897a2fa4f9e0a1a1.jpg

img_995957_2_9f2ea55e353dc4f9974274896aeca289.jpg

no thats just a reg fluorescent tube.

200752411111377633_Power_Compact_Fluorescent_Bulb.jpg

http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Product/200801/200752411111377633_Power_Compact_Fluorescent_Bulb.jpg

i have a 29 like that. i have a supply 55w retro fit kit over it.
36 or 55 watt Bright Kits

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]1 x 55 watt Bright Kit™[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Item # 30551

[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]$44.99

[/FONT]
grows all kinds of things... or...

ES00444_99.jpg

or something like that and use these types of bulbs....

cfl-bulb.jpg

I have the same hood and this is what I did after removing the 4 screws that secure the stock fixture. I used weather proof sockets and hose clamps to hold them to the stock screw locations.

Click for larger view...

Wow that looks great. I think I'm going to try just one or two anubias with my current lighting just to see how it does. If it looks like it's not doing well then I will probably go with your fix.

Anubias should do fine, along with the other low light plants that were mentioned. You can always upgrade your lighting in the future if you decide that you want more options for plants you can keep. :)

Back
Top Bottom