I want to keep live plants but I have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeverumGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55g tank that's stocked with 4 cory cats, 1 electric blue ram, 1 Raphael cat, and 4 Austalian Rainbows. I'll be stocking it in a couple days with some more Rainbows and maybe some tetras. I've already done research to which plants I need with the lighting I have. Now I need to know if they'll be okay with the types of fish I'm keeping and plan on keeping. I don't want them to get eaten up. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

What lighting are you using?

What plants do you want?

I can't really think of any plants that would be a problem with those fish. The raphael may dig up the plants when they're newly planted, but that's about it.

I'm mostly looking at Java Ferns and a couple other moderate lighting plants. I'm just running a 40 watt Aqua Glow bulb. The light fixture I have can run two bulbs and I have a spare, so if I need to add the extra bulb I will. I'd like to get some swords, but I don't know if my light is adaquete enough

I would definitely put the second bulb in the fixture. Do your research before you pick your swords. Amazon swords get huge.

Is it a T12 fixture? I’m assuming so, 40W is a T12 lamp rating. I would definitely go with 2 lamps in that case, you would really only be able to put low to medium light plants in that system. My 55 planted has 2x T8 which has lower wattage per bulb but higher lumens, which is what really matters.

Also make sure you’re not running any carbon in your filters, that takes out the nutrients that the plants need and you’ll starve them. The alternative to carbon is Purigen, it’s what I use and it is rechargeable so it lasts years, and keeps the water really clear. It probably takes some nutrients out, but a fraction compared to carbon. 1mL per gallon is the recommendation and it comes in 100mL bags (minimum size) for $12-$15. I use 500mL of it in my canister, overkill but I didn’t know the suggested use when I got it, but you can’t use too much of the stuff.

What kind of filter are you running?

I think java fern, sword plants (melon, amazon, echinodorus species), cryptocoryne plants and vallisnerias will be great in your tank to start with. I have found that the striped rapheal will break stem plants during the night (they are noctural) and that could be quite frustrating for you. Then again, remember that it is their home.

If you find that the sword plants get too big, prune some of the leaves and don't let it grow so wild where the stalks reach the surface. The newer leaves will come back smaller.

I remember a time when my loaches kept rearranging the java moss and I had to stick my hand in the tank on a daily basis to change things around. It wasn't until someone pointed out that it was their home that I let it go.

Those HOB filters will be fine. Slowly add an all in one nutrient solution (seachem flourish, tetra flora, etc..) when you notice deficiencies in the plant leaves. Once you have that under control, your addiction will grow and you will want to come over to the dark side of co2.

BTW, I think you did an awesome job of staining that shop light. Why didn't I think of that?

Back
Top Bottom