I would like some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnpleco

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got (as a gift) aqueon led lights today. I have been wanting to change my fake plants to real plants. I was wondering if I can have some tips on what I need.

Do I need co2 or other fert?
What are some low matenance background plants?
My lights can go up to a total of 24 wats and a minimum of 8
It's a 20 gallon not long not tall just normal

I got (as a gift) aqueon led lights today. I have been wanting to change my fake plants to real plants. I was wondering if I can have some tips on what I need.

Do I need co2 or other fert?
What are some low matenance background plants?
My lights can go up to a total of 24 wats and a minimum of 8
It's a 20 gallon not long not tall just normal

Well, your lighting would not be considered very high for this tank, so I wouldn't think you would need any CO2 system, however, you need to supplement it somehow. Seachem's Excel, glutaraldehyde, API CO2 booster, etc. is some you could use. you need root tabs and dry ferts, I use AquariumPlants.com for my root tabs and dose PPS-Pro for the dry ferts. You could use Seachem's Flourish Comp. instead of dry ferts if you want an easy, ready to use product instead, though other methods like EI or PPS-Pro seem to show better results.
Amazon swords and jungle Val are the first that popped in my head for low light background plants. You also would want a good plant substrate...but if you have a smaller sized gravel that might be okay. You would just want to use lots of root tabs for the nutrients the plants roots will not have in plain gravel. Some low light foreground plants can be crypts, java fern, java moss, and Anubias...

Back
Top Bottom