ich or sexual maturity ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hI I have a adult Black Moor he is about 2-3yrs old 6-7inches long. I noticed the other day he had a few white salt grain spots on both gills and no where else on the body. I looked this up and I read that it can be a sign of spawning he is chasing my calico fantail around periodically from time to time. She is an obvious female as she is very round bellied and the adult black moor is quite streamline compared to another black moor I have who is a juvenile and I think is a girl. My other goldfish show no sign of ich. Should I do anti whitespot treatment anyway? Just to rule it out. My baby black moor has just developed white trail of spots on his two front side fins the adult has this too. I think this is a sign of maturity it runs down in a line and the front of the side fins. Does this mean he is a year old I got him in dec. The adult black moor does push the calico fantail sometimes too I read this is to try get her to release eggs.

It doesn't sound like your fish have ich. From your description it appears you have a couple of males and you're seeing some spawning behavior. The other(s) might be male or female - sometimes males chase males and sometimes you might see females chase, too. I have a little female who does this. If you see one of them releasing eggs you'll know for sure which they are.

The white spots are breeding tubercles or "stars". They show up on gill plates and on the leading edge of the pectoral fins. I've seen some males who are particularly, shall we say, robust, and have tubercles extending onto the body. Hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

yeah there are four or five white dots on the larger moors gills. And he has a full line of tubercles on the fins. He is about 2yrs old approx. I adopted him so not too sure. Dave my little Black Moor is just showing a little tubercle on his fins ( His growing up lol) I've had him since dec 2013 so be a year old in a couple of months he is still quite small at about 3-4inches and very black where as the older moor has a silver tinge to his blackness. What age will Dave mature at? My Calico hasn't released any eggs that I have noticed but I thought maybe they were a girl cause Ludo The adult Moor tends to chase her and doesn't bother chasing Dave at all. The Calico Hoggle has a very round belly that makes me think its likely she is a girl. I hope so id like to try and save some of the eggs and let them breed. How would I do this if I wanted to help the eggs survive?

My Calico fantail is under a year old got Dec 2013 4inches long do you think she still needs to mature why she may not be releasing eggs yet? but is indeed female cause the adult moor loves to sniff her butt and chase

Both my Black Moors are chasing the Calico now. Seems Dave has come of age!!! no eggs released yet as i can see but then she may not be mature enough at under a year old

Back
Top Bottom