Ich please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruedy077

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently noticed an outbreak of ich in my tank :( ive been reading online the different methods for treating ich and ive come across a few, i am currently turning the heat up in my tank it is recommended to heat just above 86 F and to add aquarium salt. However i did a 30% water change added some prime and i dosed the tank with coppersafe because that is what my LFS recommended at the time. Should i continue heating the tank and add aquarium salt? or should i let the coppersafe run for awhile? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-55 Gallon tank
-1 air stone running
-2 HOB filters running
-Ammonia is 0
-Nitrite is 0
-Nitrate is 10ppm (after water change)
-Tank is housing two small goldfish and one pleco

Let the Coppersafe do its thing at the increased temperature. If you do a water change, don't forget to add the amount of Coppersafe you removed during the change.

Keep an eye on them and post new symptoms if they appear.

If your using coppersafe then don't worry about salt. Just remember that you can't have inverts in that tank until you take the tank down and really clean it out. Copper kills inverts. The heat alone raised to 86 will work and adding extra surface agitation. You need the added surface agitation because heat depletes oxygen in the water faster then normal. If you notice your fish staying at the top of the tank like they are breathing air then add more airstones or powerheads to increase the agitation to provide the tank with oxygen.

Thank you for all the advice i will look into adding another airstone as i only have the one as added airation and ill hold off on the salt for now, i may add it after the medication has cleared up the tank to aid in fin gworth seeing *** i dont have an real plants to worry about, as for inverts i do not have any so i am okay there. Thank you again for the advice i really appreciate it :) will keep you guys posted for new symptoms and if things start to clear up.

Tank is up around 85 degrees now ive been slowly increasing the temp. The infected gold fish is showing signs of clamped fins and erractic swimming. Alot of brushing on the ground and some scale loss. Im really worried about this guy now :( it seems to have spread to the other goldfish ive spotted a few white spots on him as well i know its only been about 1 day but i cant help but worry. How often should i do water changes and gravel cleaning?

Well spots seem to be reducing so in that sense things are getting better however the smaller goldfish has become aggressive and is nipping constantly and the bigger one. I made a divider using plastic mesh with some fishing line to seperate them for the time being. Could this sudden aggression be caused by the temperature or would there be another explanation.

I don't know about fish, but scientists have found a positive correlation between temperature and aggression for humans.

Hey haven't been on here in awhile just wanted to let anyone know who was concerned that all my fish made it and the ich is finally gone from the tank :) turning the heat up in the tank combine with some ich medication and aquarium salt really helped do the trick. I kept the heat cranked up to about 86 for about a week after the last signs were gone just to be extra cautious and now that the temp has been reduced back to normal the aggressive behaviors have all gone away! Thank you so much for all the advice and suggestion i really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom