Ich treatment not working!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eli

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone :)

I've been treating my tank for ich using methylene green/formaldehyde medication and slightly raised temperature. Unfortunately I have reached the end of the treatment and all of the spots have not disappeared. This is what I have done so far:

Day 1: raised temp to 28 centigrade and added half dose of medication (advised to use half dose and not too high temp because my panda corys would suffer)

Day 4: gravel vac and repeated treatment, this time with around 3/4 dose as corys seemed to react well with 1/2 dose.

Day 8: today, treatment should be complete according to bottle of meds. However some fish seem better but others still have spots.

Should I do another gravel vac and re-dose? Or would this overdose on medication? It says nothing on the bottle about what you should do if treatment fails, so any help would be appreciated!

Start by gradually increasing the temp to 30-31c and increasing aeration. I would do a large water change then start a new course of treament. Keep your tank lights off and block any sunlight hitting the tank- light degrades malachite green quickly. Please ask if you have any questions!

As I mentioned previously, in worried about my panda corys - will they be able to tolerate that high a temperature? Shall I use a full dose or just half?

I dont personally keep cories but heat is the standard of treatment for ich without having to use meds for tropicals. As long as you have lots of aeration, they should be ok as long as you raise the temp gradually. I would stick to the half dose of meds because of the cories.

Back
Top Bottom