Ick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigge_al

Aquarium Advice Activist
I saw my platy with a single white spot on his fin so I freaked out and ran out to wally world and picked up some Quick cure and treated the tank. My question is after 17 hours I still see the spot on the fish and I plan to do the second dose at 24 hours but should I still be seeing the spot. If so how long before I should see it gone. If the spot is still there 48 hours after my treatment today should I treat again until I don't see the spot.
Keep in mind I am not even sure it is Ick.

Bigge_al said:
I saw my platy with a single white spot on his fin so I freaked out and ran out to wally world and picked up some Quick cure and treated the tank. My question is after 17 hours I still see the spot on the fish and I plan to do the second dose at 24 hours but should I still be seeing the spot. If so how long before I should see it gone. If the spot is still there 48 hours after my treatment today should I treat again until I don't see the spot.
Keep in mind I am not even sure it is Ick.

I dont think 17 hours is long enough to see a change. Continue to the second dose. How long does the instructions say?

Instructions say treat twice then wait 48 hours and if I still see symptoms treat again. The instructions are not very good I had to go to the website to get instructions and still am not sure about the directions.

The fish will not stay still for a photo. If he stops moving another platy comes and chases him and hits him. It does look like a single grain of salt. I added Quick Cure yesterday. The spot is on the pectoral fin he is missing a few scales under the fin.

Ich cannot be cured when it is in the cyst form on the fish. The ich needs to burst out of the fish and become free swimming in the water. It can take two weeks or more of treating to get rid of ich completely... Alot of people have really good lucky using just heat and aquarium salt to treat ich.

i use that quick cure too try raising temp and adding every 24 hours until it is gone and then do 1 more treatment and then do a water change 24 hours after your last treatment

I bought a tiger barb once that I later found has ick. It wa just a single white spec but it slowly spread over a week. Im willing to bet it is ick. Quick cure worked like a charm for me. And if you have life plants (which I think you mentioned in the live char) salt is no good.

Well I tried taking a picture but he refuses to pose for me. I have the temp up to 82 and I have done a second treatment. I plan to get the temp to 85-86 by tomorrow and leave it there for at least a week. I am worried that the high temp will hurt my fish.
Neon tetras
Black skirt tetras
Platys
Glofish
Swordtail
albino bristlenose
Dwarf Gourami
My plants are moss ball and frogbit

Bigge_al said:
Well I tried taking a picture but he refuses to pose for me. I have the temp up to 82 and I have done a second treatment. I plan to get the temp to 85-86 by tomorrow and leave it there for at least a week. I am worried that the high temp will hurt my fish.
Neon tetras
Black skirt tetras
Platys
Glofish
Swordtail
albino bristlenose
Dwarf Gourami
My plants are moss ball and frogbit

If the temp is taken up slowly they will have time to adjust to it. They will be fine. Increase surface agitation to promote oxygen exchange by lowering the water level so the output splashes from the filter or add an air stone.

Plenty of air flow with 2 40g filters running and 2-19 inch air walls in my 44g tanks. How high should I go on temp it is at 82 now and I just turned it a little more.

Back
Top Bottom