ID help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boz121

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Picked up some new live rock today, just found about 4 of these on one piece. Someone please tell me it's not aiptasia.20130708_184952[1].jpg

Looks like it, but it's hard to say with it closed up like that. A firm ID will be much easier when it is relaxed, and opened up.

Thanks for the reply, if it was hopefully it died off. I found it lying on the sand bed today. But now there are also a few of these other creatures that I can't identify on the sand. In case it's not obvious (LOL) I am newer to the salty side. I've kept a small, fish only, salt tank for about 2 years and am now expanding, just getting ready to start my cycle as soon as I pick up an ammonia source. This is my first live rock, so all the hitchhikers are new to me. The picture doesn't show color very well, these little creatures are kind of pinkish purplish. Any help is greatly appreciated.

20130709_192952[1].jpg

Mostly likely bristle worm can't really tell though. Most are friendly and are scavengers. If they get too big you should take them out. It also not recommended to touch them that can sting.

I pretty sure that worm is harmless, and part of your free clean up crew, if there's such a thing. The top picture I'm not sure about, but I'm not leaning towards aptasia. Can you take a few more pics of both of them?
Where did you get the rock from?

Thanks for everyone's input, but nothing in the pics lived past the first couple days. The cycle was not kind to them. Rock came from the LFS and is starting to purple up nicely.

A faster way to see if its coralline algae is to get a sample and add a few drops of lemon juice to it. If the sample bubbles or fizzes, it is coralline algae.

Does the "purple" color come off if you scratch at it? If it come off easily enough its' not coralline. :) If it is cyano its not the end of the world.

Back
Top Bottom