ID please! Much appreciated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lecithin

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has finished its cycle and now that I have my lights on I've noticed a few things and am not entirely sure what they are.

On a side note, I didn't take a picture of this but I think its a baad anemone that I hear so much about. Its a white/clear color and doesn't seem to like light (when I hit the lights it moved towards the under side of a piece of LR. Its about 1-1.5" in diameter when its out. I'll try to get a pick but will get opinions/ guesses now as well :)

Ok here goes!

That thing in the middle, fanish shaped, I hope you can see it.
img_840642_0_3967e28a68f74a23aad1050d0287f352.jpg

What is that red thing?
img_840642_1_7ef3110989cfe4ca1341235851540ff6.jpg

The group of red things here?
img_840642_2_c364f5f7d6efab8d32ac46060fbfaeef.jpg

I know this is a snail but what kind? As an interesting side note one of the LFS close by had these but didn't know what they were.... the **** kinda fish store is that?!
img_840642_3_2661bf037e52e2228beab5e8b28d976d.jpg

I thought there was more but I don't know what i did with the pics.

Thank you so much for the time! I've looked up these things but I can never tell 100% and its a lot easier if someone verifies what i think.

The first pic shows tubeworms or feather dusters. They are harmless filter feeders.

Second pic is of macroalgae. No clue on the name of it. The yellow thing above that is a sponge.

Third pic looks like hydroids maybe? Keep an eye on them to make sure they don't spread.

Last pic is of a limpet. They are cool harmless algae grazers.

HTH and nice pics! :)

Can you get a better pic of the "group of red things"? It's hard to tell but I'm not sure that they are hydroids. I could be wrong as I am often.

Agree with Lindsay on all but the third pic. Agree with Ziggy... a better picture would help, but it almost looks like a little patch of zoanthids. Nice looking rock, by the way!

alright, I will get a better pic tomorrow once the lights come back on again. Thanks for the help!

In the third pic, look at the one pointing up. It does kind of look like a hydriod or possibly button polyps.....

ok I got a better pic and a few more IDs if you don't mind!

That patch of red that I saw... starting to look like something I read about that stings..... Whats the name again? I hope not, you tell me... please :)
img_841188_0_424c49915e460b60c8c3f404f1cb34fa.jpg

These green shoots have begun to spring up since I've put my lighting on, any ideas?
img_841188_1_e0c2518e811de216a38e35d867a09c3f.jpg

What is that brown/greenish thing in the middle with the opening in it?
img_841188_2_3b575d9c22322073838ba52af376bbae.jpg

And last but not least, what is that booger thing :) haha
img_841188_3_432347579ddea8ad263c6e3959c85c23.jpg

Again thanks so much!!!

Wow... you have some interesting rock! Did you get that locally, or did that come mail order? Just curious as it sure seems like you have a fair amount of hitchikers coming out for this early on.

OK... I take that back about those being zoanthids. From that picture, I go with Lindsay and say hydroids. However, they're bigger than ones that I normally see. But I guess there's dozens of different types of hydroids. They kind of look like baby majano anemones (bad thing), but I don't think those grow in clusters, do they folks? Hydroids tend to cluster. Either way, it doesn't look like something I'd want in my tank. It just kind of seems to say "I spread quickly".

The green things are a type of algae that are springing forth from your rock. It looks familiar, but I'll let an algae expert ID it for sure.

The brown thing is sure interesting. Scratching my head on that one. Looks like some type of LPS coral polyp to me (that's either dead or close to it), but I have no idea what kind. Is it soft or hard?

And the booger thingie... wow - got me. I'm assuming it doesn't move? Maybe a sponge of some sort?

That's some pretty live looking live rock!

1st pic, on the left, sponge, i'm thinking the patch is probably button polyps
2nd pic, some sort of macro algae, looks kind of like caulerpa.
3rd pic, not too sure on that one
4th pic, looks like cyano or another type of macroalgae.

I got most of the LR out of my LFS stores display tanks and a few from their LR tanks. The pieces from the LR tanks had been in there for awhile and were fully cured.

I keep hearing all these words and good/bad things and am getting a little concerned. Does any of this need to be removed or should I wait until we get a few more opinions?

Hmm...

The unidentifiable red patch looks more like a patch of [SIZE=-1]Phyllangia americana, hidden cup coral. They will retract occasionally and will grow out of a round skeleton type thing. In that case, something cool and not to worry about. I'd wait for other opinions on this though.

The macroalgae is Halimeda sp. Not a bad one to have around at all.

The brown thing looks like the fleshy mount of a clam. If it just sits there and doesn't move ever, I think that is what it is. When my turkey wing clam died and fell off the rock, that was left behind and it what controlled the movement of the clam.

The boogery thing looks like some sort of sponge?

Those are my guesses. :)
[/SIZE]

yeah the red things tend to have a white ball like skeleton they leave behind. I know this because there is a spot on a piece of LR of mine where they were and now there is a hard white ball like (with sockets almost) spot where they were. I hope thats what they are and not something bad. It doesn't seem like I have anything bad on there... hope it stays that way!'

Thanks for the help!

Hmm...

The unidentifiable red patch looks more like a patch of [SIZE=-1]Phyllangia americana, hidden cup coral. They will retract occasionally and will grow out of a round skeleton type thing. In that case, something cool and not to worry about. I'd wait for other opinions on this though. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]The macroalgae is Halimeda sp. Not a bad one to have around at all.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]The brown thing looks like the fleshy mount of a clam. If it just sits there and doesn't move ever, I think that is what it is. When my turkey wing clam died and fell off the rock, that was left behind and it what controlled the movement of the clam. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]The boogery thing looks like some sort of sponge? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Those are my guesses. :) [/SIZE]

Ditto on all those except the sponge. looks like algae to me.

I have the halimeda, clam foot and hidden cup in my tank. Common on caribbean and fl live rock. All harmless.

Back
Top Bottom