Id please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking after this fish for a friend as she recently had a big tank crash and didn't have a big enough hospital tank for it.

This is the first time I've seen the fish under the new LEDs and what I thought was ich looks a bit different. Anyone know what it is?

I'm preparing a freshwater bath. If it is ich then it's a very bad case and I've never seen anything like this!

Attachments

• image-399217315.jpg
    image-399217315.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 136
  • image-2722923328.jpg
    image-2722923328.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 181
  • image-3253339034.jpg
    image-3253339034.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 118
blue hippo tang. treat with hypo-salinity

Sorry lol..... I know what the fish is.... My query is regarding the parasite it seems to be covered in.

Hard to see from the pictures but it doesn't look like white spot to me. It's too inconsistent.

Freshwater bathed and starting hypo.

Any experiences with Medic?

I wouldn't freshwater dip it, that's just going to stress him out more and cause the disease to become worse. Hypo and a good diet are your best bet. I you don't mind me asking what size is your friends tank?

Oh the disease might be marine velvet. Hard to tell with the pic thouh

It is ich and as bad as that fish is the freshwater bath will probably kill him. I hope not but I`ve never seen FW baths do any good esp. fish that are not in good shape like that one. As far as the parasite

Read these. They will answer your questions and provide you with some treatment options.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro

It is ich and as bad as that fish is the freshwater bath will probably kill him. I hope not but I`ve never seen FW baths do any good esp. fish that are not in good shape like that one. As far as the parasite Read these. They will answer your questions and provide you with some treatment options. An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro

Thanks melosu.

I've read all these a million times lol. I've spent the last 4-5 months battling ich and QT'ing, setting up QT's etc etc. my ich outbreak was never as bad as this though which was my reason for starting this thread. It's quite clear now why she has lost so many fish.

I did a freshwater dip before I got to these last couple of comments and the fish is still going. Still hiding though. I'm going to start hypo this afternoon.

Good luck I hope the fish makes it.

Thanks Carey. Me too however it's been hiding by the heater for the past 3 days and hasn't come out to feed at all. Luckily he's nice and fat so should have enough to keep him going.

He definitely looks irritated and in need of relief.

I hope he makes it to. Do me a favor though because he does not look in too good a shape and lower the salinity real slow. I`m just afraid that a normal drop might be too much.

Well the ich is starting to fall off which means the treatment is working. I lowered the salinity slower than normal and I'm making sure he is offered a variety of food. He's feeding quite well now which is a good sign.

My friend is very happy with this as this is the only large fish she has left after the outbreak.

One tip for everyone treating marine ich is make sure you have sufficient lighting. If you have dull or insufficient lighting you are less likely to see how bad the fish is affected.

From what I have been reading about the hypo treatment is that the sudden drop in salinity isn't bad for the fish it's the rise on the way back up to normal levels that is highly stressful...the instant lower salinity helps the sick fish because they don't have to work as hard to process and release the salt from their bodies ...again this is just what I was reading from all the help links with ich

Back
Top Bottom