Ideal SG ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 46gal is cycled and has 2 Damsels, 2 Perculas, 2 tiny Gobys and a clean-up crew.

PH 8.3
Amm-Niti-Nitra, all zero
SG is 1.023 and stable

Ideally, what SG would most benefit my tank?

Depends what type of tank you have. A reef should be around 125 while a FO or FOWLR around 122-123. Of course this is IMO

I agree w/ melosu. 1.025 is the ocean's salinity so it should be best for reef. If you have a FO or FOWLR though, it is best to keep the salinity as low (not too low) as possible to reduce parasites and it helps the fish breath easier

I agree with the rest. I have a FOWLR, no corals, so I keep mine at 1.020/21. I read a few posts about the lower salinity (SG is specific gravity) will help the fish stay healthier, because they can breathe easier in a lower salinity. I would say if you go FO/FOWLR only you could possibly use the range of 1.020-1.025. As long as you stay within that range and don't have any swings in salinity, you should be good.

I should have mentioned that my 46gal was a FOWLR. I "heard" that parasites don't do well in water with a low SG, like 1.021, and that it is a good SG to strive for.

I might add that my hydrometer and refractometer do NOT read the same. I only use the refractometer now. I hope it's accurate.

I had a problem with ICH once. I hope to God it never comes back! I lowered my salinity to 1.015 and jacked up the temp to 80. The lower salinity reduces their incubation time because it is not an ideal condition. I have seen, read, and heard others lowering their SG to 1.009 to get rid of an infestation. The temperature also has the effect in keeping their breeding cycle short. This helps in making conditions for them to be uncomfortable, die, and stop reproducing.

I should have mentioned that my 46gal was a FOWLR. I "heard" that parasites don't do well in water with a low SG, like 1.021, and that it is a good SG to strive for.

IME, 1.021 won't do anything to ick. SG has to be really low like 1.015 to kill the parasites. It's not a good idea to lower ur main tank's SG to that low b/c that would kill off any bacteria (?) and inverts. So if you have a FOWLR, try to keep SG in the 1.020 - 1.023 range.

This helps in making conditions for them to be uncomfortable, die, and stop reproducing.

Higher temp won't stop them from reproducing or kill them. It only helps speed up their cycle.

Brenden (who hasn't posted in a while) said he keeps his 525 gallon reef at 1.026 and I think few other do too. Currently mine is at 1.0255. I might lower it to 1.025.

Back
Top Bottom