Identify please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBones

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone identify this snail and tell me if its beneficial or just a pest.
Thank you

Attachments

• image-1073151944.jpg
    image-1073151944.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 114
So for the second part of that question... Are these more a pest or more beneficial?

So for the second part of that question... Are these more a pest or more beneficial?

Oh and sorry. I did read your link. I found pros and cons. I just wondered IYHO if the pros out weighed the cons.

I've had them. They can get to become a pain but I've never been overrun by them. How many do you have?

Oh actually, I don't have any but I was wondering about introducing them to my tank to help clean up my diatom issue. The snails that I do have are doing a wonderful job but they are not very systematic, quite random at best. :) And I found a readily available supply but didn't want to introduce a pest.

I love them and they won't become a problem unless you over feed. They are like little beneficial earthworms of the water. They won't eat healthy plants just decaying matter and do a great Jon aerating and keeping the sand from getting toxic anaerobic air pockets. That's if you have sand but I keep mine with gravel as well they get all the excess food and decaying matter that the fish can't get too. They are nocturnal so you won't see them much during the day

If they did get out of hand you could introduce a snail eating fish such as a clown loach or a smaller,in most cases, more suitable option such as a zebra loach or yoyo loach.

If they did get out of hand you could introduce a snail eating fish such as a clown loach or a smaller,in most cases, more suitable option such as a zebra loach or yoyo loach.

Well I have three kuhli loaches now.

Back
Top Bottom