Identify snail goo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pankelephant

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a rather large mystery snail who is very active and appears healthy. Earlier today I noticed long, stringy stuff with some kind of dots coming from him. There was quite a lot and it doesn't look like his usual waste. Also, I saw him doing his biz yesterday so it's unlikely that he was stopped up. He was at the top of the tank while this was happening.

I did a 50% water change yesterday, added a large piece of driftwood and completely re-scaped the tank. The other fish are fine. I tested the pH - 6.8 which is where it's always been. I can't test ammonia yet because of the w/c (used prime), but I'd be very surprised if there were a problem with that. GH & KH are both 1, also not unusual. I've attached pics. I just want to find out if there's a problem.

Thanks!

image-2394024586.jpg

image-3286729304.jpg

Perhaps future snails, ie snail eggs? I believe that mystery snails are hermaphodites, though not sure how early they can spawn progeny. (Have to look that up) If so, congrats or get assasin snails to keep them at bay.

All the best

I can't tell you what it is but I can tell you what it's not. It's not snail eggs. Apple/mystery snail eggs are pink and will be located above the water line. They are either male or female not both like other snails.

On another note, you can test ammonia after dosing prime. Prime converts the more toxic form of ammonia to a less toxic form. Most test kits test for both kinds. Prime will not give a false positive but it will show a small amount of ammonia if there was chloramine in the water used.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom