Identifying corydoras species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellBeaumont

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have attached a photo of my beautiful Cory and I was hoping someone could tell me what species it is. It was sold to me as a Julii but after doing some research I am confused as there are so many species that look similar! Thanks!

ForumRunner_20140128_015947.jpg

looks like a corydoras trilineatus to me, true julii have smaller spots and one thin line going down its side. like this

These are always sold as julii, but, as stated above, it is trilineatus.
Don't often see true julii nowadays

Thanks for your help everyone :) I didn't think it would be a Julii as I read somewhere they are rare nowadays! Also does anyone know anything about male bettas? Or should I post a new thread?

Thanks for your help everyone :) I didn't think it would be a Julii as I read somewhere they are rare nowadays! Also does anyone know anything about male bettas? Or should I post a new thread?

what do you want to know? :) many of us have owned male bettas for years and bettas are the gateway to our addiction lol

Planet Catfish has a ton of pics to compare.

But IMHO yes, you own a Corydoras trilineatus A Three Lined Cory...that I refuse to call a "false" anything.
Three Lined is the literal translation.
For the three stripes down its sides.
Hardier and easier to find. Lovely Cats in their own right :)

C julii is a name that sells and few stores ever see genuine juliis.

My question about bettas...

I have a male betta in my tank with my Cory cats (he's moving to his own tank as soon as it cycles as I've noticed a tiny bit of aggression toward my lovely cories! Anyway that's a whole other story)...
He keeps eating the sinking pellets that I put in the tank for the cories and his stomach seems to be really swollen. I feed him his food first to try and fill him up so he won't go after the pellets (which he seems to swallow whole) but that doesn't work.
Are the pellets causing his swollen stomach and is it dangerous?
Thanks!

I have just ordered some julii from peru, but fully expect to get trilineatus.

My question about bettas...

I have a male betta in my tank with my Cory cats (he's moving to his own tank as soon as it cycles as I've noticed a tiny bit of aggression toward my lovely cories! Anyway that's a whole other story)...
He keeps eating the sinking pellets that I put in the tank for the cories and his stomach seems to be really swollen. I feed him his food first to try and fill him up so he won't go after the pellets (which he seems to swallow whole) but that doesn't work.
Are the pellets causing his swollen stomach and is it dangerous?
Thanks!

yes i would say the pellets are the reason he is looking bloated. overfeeding/overeating can cause intestinal blockage/damage. bettas are pigs and will eat anything and everything, and it is just another reason they don't do well in communities. i feed my bettas once daily and fast them on sundays to keep their digestive track clear.

I've attached this picture of him, sorry about the quality of it!
He has starting hiding all of the time and won't swim out into open water. He spends most of his time on the bottom behind the plastic plants with my Cory cats, I had to coax him out with the net to take this photo.
I'm getting a bit worried as I've read some things that mention dropsy, could this be it?

ForumRunner_20140130_120639.jpg

ForumRunner_20140130_120648.jpg

I would set up the Betta in his own tank. Fast him for a day or two and offer frozen/thawed/shelled green pea pieces to help clean him out. The food has swelled in his belly and he could be constipated.

Regardless he obviously is not doing well in a community setting. He will eat himself to death.

There are a ton of posts on how to help a Betta with this issue. I hope he improves.

You should start a new thread on the unhealthy forum to get better answers.

Back
Top Bottom