If water looks clean, does it mean that it really is clean and doesn't need changing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bandita

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a new fish owner, almost 3 months now, of a 55 gal home for 2 kois and 1 algae-eater (I realize that this will be too small for them someday, but I wanted the tank, and the previous owner said that he'd flush the kois down the toilet if I didn't take them). Anyway, I've been putting off getting a filter (waiting to find the right one). At first, algae was growing too fast (next to a sunny window). I was cleaning it every weekend. That's when I got the little algae-eater. For a while, I was able to just change the water once every 2 weeks. But he's since gotten bigger and has been able to keep up with the algae growth. Plants are growing great, and I think I've reached a point where my tank has a good balance. 3 weeks later, and water still looks clean and clear. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of sediment hiding in the gravel. I bought a Quick Vac-Auto Gravel Cleaner & Sludge Extractor. This extracts debris without removing any water. I plan on using it for the 1st time this weekend. My question is will this alone be fine, or do I still need to change the water even though it still looks clean? I'm wondering if fish have waste that looks clear, but might be toxic overtime with buildup.

In short, you still need to perform your weekly water changes. Just because water is clear doesn't mean parameters are in check.

Convicts got it in one. They are essential and go hand in hand with keeping fish. Water changes replenish dissolved elements and minerals the fish need and remove harmful toxins. Plus the weekly one on one time with your tank helps you get know your system. I can't tell you how many times I have thought all was good. Then learn differently during that maintenance time.

To be honest. You have either been extreme lucky or are about to hit the wall hard and don't know it. Do you have a test kit and test the water? If you don't. You should! API master kit is the most widely used and trusted.

As for filters. Marineland hob line works well and is inexpensive. It will get you started and then if down the road. You find one you really like. Get it and keep the marineland as emergency backup.

What you did in saving the koi was great but the best thing you can do for them now would be to find someone with a koi pond where you live that's willing to take them for you. Its best for the fish and opens your tank up so that you can stock fish you really want.

I personally would stop using the Sludge Extracter, and do weekly water changes, get water tested asap!!! Koi put out lots of waste.

Convicts got it in one. They are essential and go hand in hand with keeping fish. Water changes replenish dissolved elements and minerals the fish need and remove harmful toxins. Plus the weekly one on one time with your tank helps you get know your system. I can't tell you how many times I have thought all was good. Then learn differently during that maintenance time.

To be honest. You have either been extreme lucky or are about to hit the wall hard and don't know it. Do you have a test kit and test the water? If you don't. You should! API master kit is the most widely used and trusted.

As for filters. Marineland hob line works well and is inexpensive. It will get you started and then if down the road. You find one you really like. Get it and keep the marineland as emergency backup.

What you did in saving the koi was great but the best thing you can do for them now would be to find someone with a koi pond where you live that's willing to take them for you. Its best for the fish and opens your tank up so that you can stock fish you really want.

Well said.... ^^^^

Thanks, Everyone. I will try out the API Master Kit as you recommend. Been reading up on it. Lot of great reviews, and good idea for a beginner like me. I think this kit will really tell me if my aquarium is as balanced as it looks. I'd like to believe that my clean-looking tank is due to a natural balance, and not just luck. I read that aquariums should not be near natural sunlight (to avoid algae) but my instincts tell me that natural sunlight has healthy benefits to fish and plants. I believe that the plants are using up a lot of fish waste as fertilizer (giving them a bright, green color and lots of new growth), and the algae-eater is keeping up with the algae growth before they get a chance to spread so quick. The regular water-changes make sense though. In nature, fresh water usually comes in, whether by stream and/or rain.

I still think that the Sludge Extractor will be a good compliment with the water changes. It's hard to extract water and a lot of debris without getting gravel sucked up (I use the waterhose). I have no interest in the gravel vacs. They'll either fill a bucket too quick, or waste water down the drain in a sink. Aquarium water is great for my garden and lawn. My plan is to use the Extractor to get as much sediment, and then do the water change (while stirring up the gravel to loosen up the missed ones).

Yes, I put a lot of thought into what I'm going to do with my kois. Even though I've had no interest in them before, I've gotten real attached to them. They're really smart, playful, and recognize and bond with people. I'm even considering having my own pond. So I have a little time to think about what to do. I know that building a pond would be a huge, expensive project, so if it turns out to be too much, I will see if the Dole Plantation will adopt them (they have a huge koi pond).

There's no way to tell if a tank is "balanced" by looking at it. Especially when the tank contains goldfish or their koi cousins. Think about this way - if you took a bare tank, filled it with gorgeous, sparkling water straight from the tap, would that be a balanced tank to put any fish into? Certainly not - until you put a water conditioner in that water, it would be toxic as hell.

Building a pond does not have to be a huge expense. It is a huge investment of time. I'll be building a 60 gallon bog filter for my (existing) 275 gallon stock tank this spring. Including plants, I'll spend about $260 in cash, but the [wo]man hours will far outweigh the dent in my checkbook.

Unless you have a tank the size of a small swimming pool, you aren't doing the koi any favors, especially if you are not testing the water and performing at least 50% water changes on that tank every other day. Each koi - even as a baby - needs 50+ gallons.

Water Changes

Hello Ban...

Your fish do everything in the tank water, so there's no doubt the water has dissolved toxins in it. The number of fish you have in your tank, large or small, makes no difference. You should be removing at least 25 to 30 percent of the water weekly. I change half of it in my 55 gallon every week.

If you change a lot of water and change it often, you guarantee safe water conditions for your fish, because there's not enough time for toxins to build up in the water before the next large change.

It's that simple.

B

Today is the 3rd weekend with no water change. I did a water test on 6 conditions (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, hardness, alkalinity, and ph). According to the charts, everything is normal, but not sure about PH and alkalinity. Chart says they're high (300 alkalinity and 8.5 ph), but doesn't say what is the safe level. I read in some articles that kois can be healthy as high as 9 ph, but the chart maxed out at 8.5, so not sure if the actual ph is higher. And then other articles say that 7.5 and higher is not good. Not sure who's right. Anyway, the fish continue looking calm, happy, and healthy, so I don't want to do anything different then the previous owner did. They don't show any signs of stress that I read about. I'm going to continue cleaning about once every 2-3 weeks. As far as conditioners, it depends on your water source. My mom has had fish ever since I can remember and has never used conditioners. Her fish are old too. I've never used conditioners, and testing kit still shows all at a safe level (even though I need to do more research on the alkaline an ph). I'm still thinking about the idea of a pond (depending on whether or not my job sends me away for 1 1/2 years). Is the MicroPond kit of 1000 gallons for $880 considered a good deal, or would it be a lot cheaper to buy everything separate? $880 seems pricey, but since it was mentioned here that ponds are cheap, just time-consuming, I figure maybe kits are just a lot more expensive for the convenience. If it is cheaper to just do everything on your own, any recommendations for good step-by-step instructions?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom