If you had to rebuild your tank ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
What would you do?

I'm moving in about a week, and it's a perfect opportunity to rescape. Considering a substrate change and other changes, and just curious what all you experienced aquagardeners would do if you had a reason to pull your tank apart?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Ummmmmm 1. Have uneven gravel, once its all flat its hard to make hills or undulations 2. Don't use Fluval stratum, probably stick with eco complete and 3. Make sure my FX fit under the stand before buying it....

Couple of things I would change:

1. Go with rimless tanks.
2. Apply backgrounds before I do anything else.
3. Use a different substrate, prob either all aquasoil or activ-flora.
4. Find dedicated stands or furniture specifically for my tanks, such as a rack for my farm tanks.
5. Get rid of a ton of aquarium related junk I don't need anymore (maybe the best byproduct of moving?).

Sent from my iPad using science

Move it out of direct sunlight and choose fish that don't pull up the plants. Add plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Couple of things I would change:

1. Go with rimless tanks.
2. Apply backgrounds before I do anything else.
3. Use a different substrate, prob either all aquasoil or activ-flora.
4. Find dedicated stands or furniture specifically for my tanks, such as a rack for my farm tanks.
5. Get rid of a ton of aquarium related junk I don't need anymore (maybe the best byproduct of moving?).

Sent from my iPad using science

Those are good ideas.

It was going to just be moving my 29. But today I ended up with 3 tanks with stands for $75 ... So I'm probably going to switch to a 40 gallon acrylic tank in the move (and sell one for $75, and give the third to the friend who is helping me move).

I may even move the 29, keep it running in an out of the way spot, and gradually set up the 40 in the place it's supposed to go. Then move the inhabitants of the 29. So in that case I have time to paint the back, change the substrate ... Even dsm a carpet if I want ...

Now I REALLY have too much possibility. Thank goodness budget and space aren't infinite.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Look for a 55 that isn't tempered then flip it on its side and cut the panels so that I have an open 48x21 instead of an open 48x12 side. Then I would eurobrace with the extra glass. That way I could get a larger foot print for more fish or bigger fish.

1. Add a diy background with shelves for plants and a sand waterfall.
2. Go with a 75g tank
3. Proper led fixtures rather than t5ho
4. No more dirt

Back
Top Bottom