I'm Cycled!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGeeze

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello!

So I started my fishless cycle on January 25th and as of today I believe I'm cycled. I tested my nitrites yesterday and as usual they were off the chart. I hadn't tested my nitrates in a few days so I figured why not, I'd only seen them at 5ppm in all my other tests. Sure enough they were up to about 80ppm or higher, that was exciting!!

When I woke up this morning I checked nitrites..... And to my surprise, for the first time, no nitrites!!! No ammonia as well. I believe this means I'm complete, correct? Should I dose ammonia back up at all?

Thanks guys!

Continue to dose your amm for a few more days to be sure amm/nitrite are steadily zeroing out in 24hrs. If they do, you are cycled!!! The day you plan on getting fish, skip the amm, do a 100% water change with temperature-matched, conditioned water & adjust your heater to the correct temp for your planned fish. You may have to do more than one big water change to get your nitrates as low as possible. Check out U-Tube for how-to videos on 'drip acclimation' if you are not familiar with the process. Congrats!! :)

jlk said:
Continue to dose your amm for a few more days to be sure amm/nitrite are steadily zeroing out in 24hrs. If they do, you are cycled!!! The day you plan on getting fish, skip the amm, do a 100% water change with temperature-matched, conditioned water & adjust your heater to the correct temp for your planned fish. You may have to do more than one big water change to get your nitrates as low as possible. Check out U-Tube for how-to videos on 'drip acclimation' if you are not familiar with the process. Congrats!! :)

Thank you! So today I will add ammonia around 5 o clock and test tomorrow after work. As long as my nitrates drop below about 20ppm that is ok right? Or should they be lower? And in order to do that much of a water change I assume my filter must be turned off?

I'll definitely check out you tube for the acclimation, thanks!

Yes, its best to start off with your nitrates as low as you can possibily get them (what your tap water reads for nitrates). 20ppm or lower is the ideal range. Its always a good idea to turn off anything electrical before doing a water change (and sticking your hands in the tank) from a safety perspective. It will also prevent your filter motor from burning out from running with no water. :)

Ok so I just did my 24 hour test and I'm excited!!! My tests read:

PH: 7.2 - 7.6 (this may go up when I do my water change)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: I believe over 80ppm (it's blood red on the API test kit)

Does this mean I'm cycled? I thought this day would never come lol!!

Should I dose ammonia back up to 4ppm tonight? I probably won't be able to get to my fish store until Friday afternoon.

Thank you !!

Congrats!! Yes, keep dosing your amm until you plan on getting fish to keep your bb fed. Either the morning you plan on getting fish or the night before, follow as i suggested above to ready your tank. Good luck with your new tank! :)

jlk said:
Congrats!! Yes, keep dosing your amm until you plan on getting fish to keep your bb fed. Either the morning you plan on getting fish or the night before, follow as i suggested above to ready your tank. Good luck with your new tank! :)

Awesome! Thank you very much jlk, greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom