Im having a problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copachick

Aquarium Advice Freak
API test results were Ph-7.0, Ammonia .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5
I know there isnt suppose to be any ammonia so we did a 50% water change yesteday(little more then we do per week) and vacumed the gravel as we always do.

Im having an issue with all my platys, and now my Bala shark. We have lost 5 out of 7 platys in a week and a half!
We started having an issue last month with fin rot, ich, etc. . and it just happened all of a sudden! We treated them with Maracyn and it went away. Last week it started happening again. It seems just get out of control awfully fast. One fish had puffed out gills, all their fins were clamped, and just real sluggish and not eating. we lost 5 fish to this :-(
We started turning the temp up a few degrees to help with the ich, tried salt, did water changes, now started the maracyn again. It seems to be helping the two platys left, but now the Bala shark all of a sudden is not eating, his tailfin is almost completely gone, and we cant seem to shake this sickness going on in there. we've had these fish for almost a year, never had issues before. EVer! We have 4 tetras in there too, but they arent affected by this.

Any advice? :-( :facepalm:

We said if anything happenes to our Bala shark, we are going to get our 10 gallon tank up and cycling so we can put the remaining 5 fish in there to get them well, and start over with the other one.

what size tank? did you add any fish or plants recently? If yes, state source. :( sorry for your loss. And btw, you didn't state what size tank they are in currently;)

It's a 36 gallon. Before anything is said I know its too small for my Bala. He's about.to get a 120 gallon. He was the exception where the lfs didn't tell us what he needed. He gets aking geeat with the others. We've had him for awhile. Nope no new fish or plants. Just a mystery. It's so sad

Back
Top Bottom