I'm in LOVE with Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Earlier this year I became infatuated with Bettas and now have 5. Here are two of my females sharing a 10g tank.

Rosie & Ruby, Ruby is "handicapped". When I purchased her from Petco I noticed she seemed to struggle swimming especially going up or straight, her rear end would drag down & she'd have to go from leaf to leaf, seemed to be wore out. She's MUCH better now, still not graceful like Rosie. I'm so glad I didn't return her like I had thought about doing for about 2 seconds. I was concerned if she'd be able to get to the top for air but she kept pushing herself & has greatly improved her swimming.

Rosie

image-3773448937.jpg

Ruby

image-965547069.jpg

They're beautiful!! Nice tank too!! I have a crown tail male, can't imagine life w/out him!

Here are 2 of my bettas. They are in a divided 10g with 4 African dwarf frogs to keep them company.
This is my female, Phoebe (get it? FEmale BEtta. My daughter named her)
ForumRunner_20120630_220927.jpg

this is Louis, my male. He is my favorite!
ForumRunner_20120630_220939.jpg

I have a beautiful blue crowntail betta male. I want to rescue other bettas. Right now my goal is to obtain a purple betta or even a green betta. I might try to get a white betta too.

smomus said:
Here are 2 of my bettas. They are in a divided 10g with 4 African dwarf frogs to keep them company.
This is my female, Phoebe (get it? FEmale BEtta. My daughter named her)

this is Louis, my male. He is my favorite!

I have a male named Simon that looks like your Phoebe, they would make beautiful babies. LOL

bettaowner said:
I have a beautiful blue crowntail betta male. I want to rescue other bettas. Right now my goal is to obtain a purple betta or even a green betta. I might try to get a white betta too.

I know what you mean, whenever I go to Petsmart or Petco I can't help but look at the Bettas to see what colors they have. I have 2 males as well, a crown tail & a veil tail, I love their flowing fins & tails. However I tend to gravitate to the females because most people go for the males. Plus with the females you can have more than one in a tank. I'm hoping once my 3rd female is healthy again & now that she's in a 10g tank she'll get bigger like Rosie & then she'll get some tank mates. I'd have more but I'm limited on aquarium space & I have come to realize they do much better in a tank larger than a 1g container.

TangoTank said:
They're beautiful!! Nice tank too!! I have a crown tail male, can't imagine life w/out him!

Thank you. I wish I had more space because I'd love to get a bigger than a 10g tank. I have 2 males I need to get out of their little 1g containers so I'm trying to figure out where I can put a 20 - 30 gallon divided tank or a couple more 10g. :)

i have 8 males and one female- they are crown tails-mustard gass- half moon- my crown tails just mated and i have a ton of fry now its so cute

Here are my boys & before anyone says anything I'm working on getting them in bigger aquariums.

Berry

image-96236841.jpg

Simon

image-1513949474.jpg

Shadownova said:
Bettas are awesome and need to be adopted from that tiny little cup! Lol!

You are so right! I always feel so bad when I see them in those cups & being marketed for small spaces. My boys are only in 1g containers because I thought that was good when I initially got them but I think differently now. I know they would LOVE something bigger & I'm working on that. I've learned a lot in the last 6 months regarding Bettas.

I know this isn't the best option but I plan on buying bettas in those small cups to give them new homes. If I don't do something who will. I don't want to see them die in small polluted cups.

bettaowner said:
I know this isn't the best option but I plan on buying bettas in those small cups to give them new homes. If I don't do something who will. I don't want to see them die in small polluted cups.

The best way to help them is to get stores to stop selling them in cups. Send a complaint to the manager. If you can get enough people to complain, they will most likely just stop carrying bettas that come in cups.

I don't have the will power that you have. I just feel so sorry for those fish. I am willing to do anything to give them a home better than that small cup.

shellieca said:
I know what you mean, whenever I go to Petsmart or Petco I can't help but look at the Bettas to see what colors they have. I have 2 males as well, a crown tail & a veil tail, I love their flowing fins & tails. However I tend to gravitate to the females because most people go for the males. Plus with the females you can have more than one in a tank. I'm hoping once my 3rd female is healthy again & now that she's in a 10g tank she'll get bigger like Rosie & then she'll get some tank mates. I'd have more but I'm limited on aquarium space & I have come to realize they do much better in a tank larger than a 1g container.

Be careful with multiple females! I just had my sorority in my 20 gallon collapse and now I have one of the five I had a week ago. One got picked at, then the order devolved from there once one was gone.

Alyxx said:
Be careful with multiple females! I just had my sorority in my 20 gallon collapse and now I have one of the five I had a week ago. One got picked at, then the order devolved from there once one was gone.

Sorry to hear that. 2 of my females have been together from day & so far so good, it's been about 4 months. The 3rd I tried to integrate a month or so go but it wasn't working so I took her out. I've read that 3 is the magic number but it's obviously a crap shoot. I may try again with the bigger tank but will keep a very close eye on them. I want to stay away from a divided tank if I can but may not be able to.

Back
Top Bottom