I'm in over my head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AppStateN

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm on my phone so sorry for layout

I had a 10g tank from a fair fish that stayed strong for 2 yrs til I moved. Was pretty hurt when I lost em.
Kept the tank and recently revived it.

Put a betta in there with a couple gold mystery snails. Went great.
Added some tetra. Seemed good. Thought the betta would like another friend.
Saw a beautiful betta on the new cart after I had thought it was not meant to be. Took her home. He attacked as soon as she was let into the tank after acclimated. Pulled her out and back into plastic she was sold in. 16 hrs later I have a new 30g tank.
Get it set but did too much. Should have left her alone to get it right but added fish. Lost all of them.
Sad day.

Let it set up for a month with plants and all the goods.

Now have 3 guppy 3 tetra 2 dalmatian and 5 snails. Tank is amazing but i bought a new wood deco and it has stained the water. I took it out and have been soaking the tannins out.

If you have made it this far I'm just looking for some advice. I have all kids of helpful bottles to make tank healthy and fish seem good. Hungry anytime i am close to the tank but good overall.

Can show pics if helpful.

I am soaking the wood separately and read how to make sure I don't screw up pH

Lets go over whats gone wrong so far.

I assume the fairground fish where goldfish? Goldfish get big, are very messy, and live decades. They need big tanks, lots of filtration, lots of water changes. If they dont have enough space they get stunted and die young. 10 gallons isnt big enough for 1 goldfish. How many did you have? If they lived a couple of years you actually did a good job.

Soaking wood to remove tannins can take months. Boiling wood is a quicker option. Putting activated carbon in the filter will pull tannins out of the water if you want to put the wood in straight away. I wouldnt worry about any slight pH that might occur when you add driftwood to a tank.

From your own experience you now know that bettas wont tolerate another betta in the same tank. They are called fighting fish for a reason.

What do you know about the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a tank?

Do any of things you have test water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

Are you seeing any issues in your current set up?

Link to some articles for new fishkeepers that may be useful.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/foru...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

Back
Top Bottom