I'm kind of confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JC_Bus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I just have a few questions about plants and substrate
First do I need to put soil in the tank or can I just keep my sand?
Second if I need do need soil what kind of soil? Can I just get organic soil from Home Depot? I know I need to cap the soil so can I put the sand I have on top? I also know that I'd need to replace the sand after a few years but while its still good do I need to add any chemicals or anything to keep my plants alive? And any more info about plants and substrate will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sand is fine for plants, root tabs will help provide root feeders with nutrients. For leaf feeders a nutrient dosing will be necessary. Where things go from here depend on the brightness of your lights and the plant species you aim to keep.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a few Amazon swords right now with root tabs and Java fern. I think the Java fern is doing okay but I'm not sure about the swords. I also want to keep some jungle Val and maybe so dwarf sag? Would you recommend putting soil for any of these?

At what point would you recommend getting soil?

I would only put soil in a plant grow out tank. I hate soil. It gets everywhere. Especially for a guy like me who will rip half my tank apart to move a plant an inch to the left. Root tabs do exactly what soil does, breaks down completely, and doesnt make a mess. Also with soil/sand, if you do decide to use soil (cause it does work well) id go with .5 inches of soil (yes im aware of the 1-1 ratio that everyone says online) and 1.5 inches of sand. Coming from experience with soil/sand. And even more so if youre keeping fish that dig. Id do 2 inches of sand and .5 inches of soil. AND.. Have the tank planned out 100% and only put the soil where you need it. (Where youre putting root feeders like swords, vals, bulb plants, crypts). Id say use soil if you plan on using high light and glut or co2. Soil for low/med light is just asking for problems.

With all that being said. Ill never use soil again haha.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

I prefer sand with root tabs.
d457ed91e6a9e0cd5d4c8aa519649e4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay thanks! This helped a lot! I just have one more question. I read online that I should cut my Java ferns down sometimes because they'll grow back bigger and thicker. I was just wondering if this is also true and if it is how do I cut them?

Hmmm trimming and replanting the tops works for stem plants.

With a rhizome plant like a Java Fern ?

You can cut off portions that have some rhizome and roots and tie or glue it where you want to create new plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom