IMMEDIATE HELP NEEDED Please - Columnaris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akkitten

Aquarium Advice Activist
It looks like I have an outbreak of Columnaris in my guppy tank. So far only one guppy is affected. There are pictures on the thread "White...but not fuzzy. I need to know how/what to do? Do I pull out the infected fish? What about the remaining guppies, neon tetra, and ghost shimp?!

Leave the fish and do a good temp matched, treated water change. Then come back and tell us more about your tank. How long set up, test results if you have them, etc. Clean water will buy you time if not cure.

Sorry, that was all on the other post, but I coudln't tie them together. Tank has been set up for about 2 months. amm 0. NO2 0, NO3 10. I just did a pwc today about 25% and I will go do another one. LFS closes in about an hour if I need to run up there. Should I add some salt? Will it hurt the tetra?

Sorry I missed replying to the other post. I viewed and really couldn't see anything good. I'd personally skip the salt. It can be useful, but not for this IMO. Good food and clean water would be what I'd shoot for for this. How long have you had them? Where did you get them? They don't look very good I'm afraid. :(

I got them at the lfs, she is one of the two that I cycled my tank with. Since I live in no-mans land the selection of fish stock is pretty limited at best. I did go to the lfs and got some jungle fungus eliminator and removed the filter. Will see what happens. I expected a learning curve in fishkeeping, but nothing like this. :(

Cycling your tank with fish is probably the root of the problem, but it happens and can be overcome. Been there, done that. Have you read up on the nitrogen cycling?

The tank is done cycling, parameters have been steady for over 3 weeks. Am cycling a 20 gal with no fish right now. I am becoming intimate with the cycle!

No tank is ever "done" cycling. It's an ongoing process that can be re-initiated in many ways and takes months (not weeks) to establish. Hence the term "cycle".

How are you testing?

I am testing using drops. I test all my tanks nightly, that tank is consistenly 0 amm, 0 NO2 and 5 - 10 NO3. I don't test NO3 nightly. Done with the 'initial' cycle would probably have been a better way to state that.

Here is a better picture. It is only apparent on one side of her body,

Attachments

• image-3932945398.jpg
    image-3932945398.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 93
I believe maracyn will treat columnaris. I used it when my guppies had it a few years back. Be sure to do the recommended water changes with medicating.

HELP! same problem, but the store sold me tetra life guard...is this my going to help them??? Heading to store around 1 today, so if ANYONE has better suggestion that would be great!

Chimbica all I did was read labels until I found something that specifically said it would treat columnaris. The stuff I bought was relatively inexpensive, like $5.

Question for someone: If you pull the media from your filter, what do you do with it while you are treating? Can you put the same one back in or use a new one?

Back
Top Bottom