Infection??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cronus

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-2228439469.jpg

I only noticed what I thought was an abrasion on top o this guys head from the lava rock in tank so had just treated with melafix and in the last week hadn't seen any improvement so I've moved him into isolation and began treating as Pimafix as well. He still has plenty of appetite but this thing on his head is just looks like its getting bigger daily.

Any clue as what this might be? Anything else I might use to treat this?

could be hole in the head disease, which could be cause by internal parasites that are taking any nutrients from the food he is eating (which is what will cause hole in the head disease) this just happened to a dwarf gourami of mine though he did not make it because i could no longer get him to eat.

im no expert of fish disease so i stress that this COULD be what i just said

Thanks, will keep it in mind. Will observe over this week to see if there are any changes. Fingers crossed it isn't hole in the head..

Is it fuzzy or stringy or more of a lumpy bumpy growth?

To be honest, it looks like a really bad case of eczema but a fish version of it.... The top bit looks scabby that doesn't want to heal and down the sides it looks fury almost like the scales are rotting.... :-(

Do you live in the US or another country? As he is isolation already (good move!), I would skip the useless stuff (melafix) and work on removing it from the tank. Once its removed, we then can consider options based on whats available to you. If its continuing to get worse as you mentioned, he needs treatment with real meds.

Do you live in the US or another country? As he is isolation already (good move!), I would skip the useless stuff (melafix) and work on removing it from the tank. Once its removed, we then can consider options based on whats available to you. If its continuing to get worse as you mentioned, he needs treatment with real meds.

I'm in Australia. I'm guessing he is going to need some kind of antibiotic, any suggestions??

I know antibiotics are limited in your country without a prescription. I would start with Ebay and see if anything is available. You can also send a pm to MummaofTwo- she resides in Aus as well and would have a better idea of what is available. I believe methylene blue to available to you if you find you have no reasonable options. Daily baths can be given and it can be swapped onto the infected area to help limit infection and aid in healing.

Thanks heaps jlk and mummaoftwo. Have been dosing QT with Pimafix and seems to have stopped whatever it is from spreading but will definitely check out website and LFS(has blue planet range) for any med's if this conditions gets worse. Fingers crossed it doesn't buy at least now I have a backup.

Back
Top Bottom