Inherited Green Spotted Mandarin Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well last weekend I had a phone call from a buddy at my job wanting to know if I can take in a Green Mandarin Goby. I told him I could not take it because I had no Refugium set up yet but I was in the process of creating one. He said if I would not take him he would have to just feed it to his cat or flush down the drain. Me being soft about it and did not want a fish like that to go to waste. I took it on to save his life. I don't know if I did the right thing by takng it in if it's going to dye anyway in my tank, but I was told he was eating frozen brine Shrimp and Mysis shrimp along with Copepods. He has been eating here and there but I know it's main diet are Copepods so since I did not have a Fuge ready or any thing I had to think of something drastic. I went to Home Depot pick up a sheet of Arcylic and cut a 6x7x20 inch piece of Plexi and just form a corner of my Tank as a Temporary Fuge for now... Just until I get the actual Fuge going... Here is what I did up until know... Let me know if you guys have any more suggestions on what I should do.... My two piece os Plexi glue together.

img_968170_0_9c79e471a888f226960d55a498872e88.jpg

2nd shot
img_968170_1_2de131cacbf2e4504f938e1c88dc8dbd.jpg

Just a FYI I did not want to get another fish right now for my Tank and did not want to even get a Mandarin Goby becasue I know the Difficulty level it is to care for one... I just took him on and thought maybe instead of wasting a Flush down the toliet or even a Kitty snack it would be better off dieing in my hands than going thru a horrible dead... Just thought I save a Life... :)... But I don't know if I did the Right thing....

If he is eating then half the battle is won. If you feed brine make sure it is vitamin fortified. They also make pods in a bottle if you want to add to your main. Anyone who would flush a fish like that or give it to the cats does not need to have a tank. JMO

He was a 6 year SW keeper but I guess was going thru some mid life crisis. And needed the money but he sold off most of his expensive stuff and has been trying to sell the Mandarin at first he wanted me to buy it from him for $25 but i was like naw I wasn't interested at the time and he was like well how about you just give it a home and I don't charge you for it... He was like as of right now I need to get ride of it and I can't keep holding on to it.... If I don't give it a home soon I hate to flush it down the Toliet or give it to my cat for a Snack... Then thats when I was just like I'll take it then if your not going to charge me for it.... So i guess it was just a win win situation...LOL and save a life at the same time...

Well besides that my two pieces of Arcylic are bonded together less than 24 hrs as instructed. It is completely dry I usd Aquarium Silicone to put them together.. Is it ok I put it in the tank since it is dry... I don't really have to check for leaks since it for a corner of my tank...

Im just begining my set up in a 47 gal high tank but the home made fuge looks good to me! smart thinking, I have a mandarin that is eating well so far but he doesnt have any competition so i guess he's in heaven lol

I just wanted to inform everyone on here that Mandarins do need copepods to start out early in their lives.- i have 2 mandarins in a 75gallon tank with tons of live rock and copepods everywhere. but after about 6 months of havin them they seem to enjoy pellet food more than they do pickin at the pods. BY NO MEANS should anyone buy these fish assuming they'll eat pellets right away, but after about 6 months of havin them along with 2 scooter blennys, i noticed this month they were all eatin formula 1 and 2 pellets every time i fed the tank. I was so shocked, i had to post this!!! the pod population has exploded ever since...

I just wanted to inform everyone on here that Mandarins do need copepods to start out early in their lives.- i have 2 mandarins in a 75gallon tank with tons of live rock and copepods everywhere. but after about 6 months of havin them they seem to enjoy pellet food more than they do pickin at the pods. BY NO MEANS should anyone buy these fish assuming they'll eat pellets right away, but after about 6 months of havin them along with 2 scooter blennys, i noticed this month they were all eatin formula 1 and 2 pellets every time i fed the tank. I was so shocked, i had to post this!!! the pod population has exploded ever since...

That's not all 100% true not all Mandarins need to start off with Pods. Yes it's part of there Diet and living, but my Mandarin was already eating Enriched Mysis and Enriched Brine Shrimp, As a matter of fact I just started putting Pods in my system and he's been healthy ever since. From all my reading and being on several different forums Mandarins can live without Pods if trained properly to eat prepared foods...

Back
Top Bottom