Injured rainbow.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
I discovered my largest rainbow was acting odd. He has his mouth open and is flexing it constantly, like he is trying to close it but can't. On the inside, his mouth/throat is bright red and his looks very tense. He won't let any other fish come near. He has been doing this all day.

What exactly is going on with him?

The rainbows pick on each other somewhat, but it never turns violent. Just a nip or two and then they move on. So, maybe he got into a fight? Or maybe he swallow something sharp? None of the other fish are exhibiting any odd behavior. I feel bad, because he attempted to eat with everyone else, but couldn't because he can't close his mouth.

It's not the greatest picture. He is hiding pretty well and is skiddish around the camera. Anyway, he just keeps his mouth open like this.

I dont see any obvious sign of injury. Is it possible he ate something a bit too large for him to handle like a pellet and hurt himself? I have several rainbows and I know how quick they move when it's feeding time.

Also, is it possible he has an infection of some kind? The redness you mentioned could be a sign of a fungus or parasite and it may hurt too much to close his mouth.

Get the fish out of the tank in a towel. Try slowly to close his mouth. Put the fish back in the water and see if his mouth will stay that way sometime the fish his mouth can go on a lock that means when he will try to eat somthing he can't. Other than that he can die from it I had it with a bala shark. I really doint know what it is at least I tried.

Sorry that I haven't been on.

Mouth lock? That seems like that's it. It's still stuck open. I will try to fix him, it's just going to be so hard to get him out.

Back
Top Bottom