Interbreeding shrimp questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela1108

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wondering about shrimp interbreeding. Mine are Neos.

Where/who did you get yours from? I got mine from htn. I was thinking of getting some darker blues to mix in from somewhere else- do you think that would mess up the strain in they are both blue?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda have that same question as above... If I have red cherry and red rili together and they breed... Will the shrimplets be colorless?

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

I know mixing different colors they will revert back to wild but I am not sure about the same color but different shades

Cross-breeding shrimps will make ugly offsprings. Also, neocaradina will not breed with caradinas. So, a tiger will not breed with a RCS for instance.

I guess my question is more similar to grading - a really low end cherry and a painted fire are technically the same so should give reds of a middle grade/mix of grades . Is a dream and a pearl the same where the dream is just a darker shade than the pearls or would it really count as breeding like a red and blue where they would eventually revert back to wild/boring

Where/who did you get yours from? I got mine from htn. I was thinking of getting some darker blues to mix in from somewhere else- do you think that would mess up the strain in they are both blue?

I got my blue pearls and some carbon rili from Htn too. I'm not disappointed in the quality, they're just like what he had pictured. I'll probably be happier with them once I have the tank straightened out.

As far as mixing neo colors it seems most of the big time shrimp folks (like the FB groups) say it takes a long time before you start seeing natural colored shrimp. And there's also the line of thought that all of these variations wouldn't even exist without experimenting.

The front left shrimp in this photo is the result of carbon rili and blue dream:

img_3204317_0_8b8a4b415340460bdd60344c63b47810.jpg

When my red rili start having fry less red than clear I add a high quality red to the tank and eventually get typical red rili again.

Wow, I need to snap a picture of my shrimps in the community tank. The red cherry has become brown faster than you think.

I had crystal reds, red cherry, black king kongs, orange rili, yellow shrimps, fire red shrimps in the tank. Within 4 months, the offsprings has become brown...

Also, yeah interbreeding of coloured shrimp of any sort does produce only brown shrimp.

And by saw a molt, I mean the process - not merely finding the leftover molts laying around.

Its funny, i started with a wild colony rather the rcs. Its fun seeing the different colors show up from the offspring.

Its funny, i started with a wild colony rather the rcs. Its fun seeing the different colors show up from the offspring.

Now that would definitely be interesting to see, lots of surprises I suppose?

Back
Top Bottom