Interesting Oranda Goldfish Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bengoshi2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
So about 6 weeks ago I scored a 46g bowfront off of Craigslist for $50 to move my two Orandas into... with an eye to adding a third. So today I finally added the third to the tank. Once I put him into the tank, my other two (who normally are all over the tank sifting gravel) huddled up around the new guy. All three crowded together in a back corner for about an hour. One of my original pair occasionally would dart crazy around the tank and settle on the opposite side... then work his way back over to huddle with the others. Now, nearly two hours after introducing him to the tank, all three are swimming around the tank, sifting gravel, nosing plants, together. They won't drift more than about 6 inches or so from each other.

Any ideas what this behavior signifies?

I am guessing here that they are all still fairly small? I would not be concerned with their behavior. They seem content & are exhibiting normal behavior for a goldfish. Your new addition has been welcomed (rather than shunned or bullied) which is a good thing! As they mature, you may see some different behaviors (depending on if they are all male, all female or a mix). Just make sure you keep an eye on your tank parameters for the next wk or 2 because the new addition has increased the bioload & your bacteria will have to adjust.

Yes, they are all young... My original pair are 4 and 5 inches nose to tail. New guy is about 3 in.

I wasn't concerned about their behavior... I just found it curious. The largest one actually stayed so close to the new guy it looked like he was trying to side hug him with his fin.

I was worried that a new tank mate would be met with some aggression, so I was hoping for bemused indifference. I'm with you though... looks like they welcomed him w/ open arms... er... fins.

Back
Top Bottom