Internal parasites??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NativeTank7

Aquarium Advice Activist
My two native bluegill having been flashing for the past couple of days and have been darting around the tank and shaking there heads real fast so I believe it may be parasites. What are your thoughts? Water quality is fine everything is checked out but idk every fish iv had in this used tank have acted this way

My fish are healthy and eat every bit of the food. I don't know what's up. But could overdosing dechlorinator make them scratch? Because now that I think about it I have been putting triple what I should be by mistake.

What kind of declorinator? Overdose Prime = BAD
Overdose StressCoat = not bad
Do a 50 % water change and see what happens. Everyone appreciates clean water

bkiggy said:
What kind of declorinator? Overdose Prime = BAD
Overdose StressCoat = not bad
Do a 50 % water change and see what happens. Everyone appreciates clean water

It's called wardley chlor out. Iv got two huge bottles that were given to me when they gave me the tank so I didn't see any harm in putting it to use. I will do a water change and update if there symptoms change

ZHiTcH41 said:
Are the fish male and female? Maybe mating ritual?

Na I researched the bluegill mating rituals and the water has got to be over 70 degrees. Mine is 65 and they make a nest first then circle the female until she lays they eggs the he dances in place to fertilize the eggs. This summer I hope to breed them. There still juveniles but I believe I got a male and female ( i hope). I just got to get this problem fixed before then. Can parasites be in the tank even if there's no fish? Because I have had many different types I native fish in the last 6 months and they all have the same symptoms. None have died so I kept swapping them trying to get a healthy bunch. These bluegill started the second day in the tank

What size is the tank? Are you taking the fish out of a pond and putting them in your tank?

ZHiTcH41 said:
What size is the tank? Are you taking the fish out of a pond and putting them in your tank?

The tank is a 55 and I'm almost done building my 450 gallon. The biggest bluegill and I believe the male is a little over 2 inches and the female is barely an inch. Iv got them out of my local pond right as they got a decent juvenile size

Back
Top Bottom