introduction of myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhrisCross

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My name is Khristian,
I have loved the idea of aquariums for as long as I can remember. The year before last I set up my first 20 gallon with a male opaline gourami, a female dwarf gourami, and 5 longfin zebra danios.

I used 2 aquatech 5-15 filters that kept the water pretty clear, and for almost a year I've had no trouble, then the dwarf gourami died out of nowhere and I couldn't find a reason why... Someone recommended a bigger tank, so that's what I did, I now own a 40 gallon breeder with an aqueon 75 and the same opaline gourami and 5 longfin zebra danios nearly 2 years later, my girlfriend also surprised me with a small Raphael catfish who isn't super small anymore

After so many months, however, the tank seemed kind of empty, I decided that my fish friends, needed some friends of their own... I started out with 3 more danios, happy and healthy.
in another month I adopted 5 black skirt tetras, they seem to be loving life .... I then looked into live bearers and decided that I would LOVE to have a live bearing tank, the only problem is I am using the old 20 gallon as a hospital tank and decided to hold off on the live bearing tank for the time being. Instead I chose to get to know some live bearers so I could better care for an entire tank of them later. I purchased a small school of platies and a smaller school of mollies:
- 2 mm platies/ male and female
- 1 sunset platy/ female
- 1 red tail Dalmatian platy/ male
- 1 red wag platy/ female
- 2 creamsicle molly/ male and female
- 2 Dalmatian mollies/ male and female

These were not all at once, instead it was platies first and later the mollies .... But unfortunately all of them died except for the female mm platy (now pregnant) and the red tail Dalmatian platy and the female creamsicle molly (also pregnant) and the male Dalmatian molly .... I read alot of posts on this site that helped me through this and helped me understand that I was dealing with both columnaris (courtesy of the male creamsicle) and possibly fin rot .... I returned the dead fish and tried again .... 2 more times .... The water parameters are nearly perfect .... And I chalked it up to a bad batch from my LFS .... However I am happy for the survivors and they seem to fit right in .....

.... I joined this site because it has helped me alot already, and I believe it can help me even more as a member ... Sorry for the long introduction XD

Welcome! I'm so sorry about your fish; I hope things go better for you in the future. This forum is a wonderful place to get advice and help, it's been extremely beneficial to me as a newbie! :)

Back
Top Bottom