Invertabrates and ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGGGG

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can my snails and ghost shrimp become infected with ich?

Alright so going along with that they may not get it but if I move them to another populated tank for treatment of the diseased tank will the fish is non-diseased tank catch it? Thanks fo the quick replies:)

Alright so going along with that they may not get it but if I move them to another populated tank for treatment of the diseased tank will the fish is non-diseased tank catch it? Thanks fo the quick replies:)

No problem
Your :welcome:

No, inverts can't pick up most fish related diseases (any as far as I've researched). Just acclimate them in tank water from the new tank and don't put ANY tank water from the infected tank to the rehomed tank, as that could infect the other tank.

I'm treating a tank with inverts for ich and though I always thought they couldn't get it, I keep getting told otherwise. So I'm really not sure. I definitely would not remove them from the tank with ich and put them in another tank with fish.

Interesting notion. Do you mean the fresh exoskeleton? Does it go away as it hardens? In my research ghosties are the least likely to get a fish related disease, but no mention of fresh shedding.

Yes when they shed their exoskeleton their new one is initially very soft. I've read about this on a few forums where people move fish to QT and just treat that, leaving shrimp in main tank and it doesn't solve their problem. Photos of them with it, too. I've seen it argued too about the slime coat on fish which shrimp don't have, etc, but then others argue about the gills having Ich. :)

I would treat the inverts too just to be safe. Salt and heat would be the safest method to use. Many meds contain copper which will kill the inverts.

I would treat the inverts too just to be safe. Salt and heat would be the safest method to use. Many meds contain copper which will kill the inverts.

Yeah that's how I feel. We always hear too how Ich is always present in a tank, so the lifecycle thing and waiting it out without a host while treating another tank confuses me a lot. :)

To go along with this I was wondering is does API liquid super ick cure contain copper? There isn't a list of ingredients so was just wondering

I would do a google search to try to find that one out for sure. I don't use meds for Ich, just salt+heat, so I wouldn't know.

The API website says that Super Ick Cure is a malachite green medication. It does say some scaleless fish may be sensative to it, but does not mention inverts. It also reccomends upping the temperature to make the life cycle go quicker, and thus making the meds more effective.

Back
Top Bottom