Iodine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
All,
I had the LFS test my iodine levels today. Every other parameter is normal but the Iodine level is about .09. I was told it should be .06 and that anything over .08 can damage coral tissue. Is this true? Also how can i get rid of the high iodine levels. Is there another way other than a full water change ? I just did a large water change to remove nitrates, it would suck to complete another! But bad on my part is supplimented with iodine drops the new water added.

What does everyone else do when they have had high iodine levels?

The best thing to do is to figure out where it is coming from.

What salt do you use?
What do you feed?
What are all the supplements you add?
Are you using a protein skimmer?

I would stop supplimenting Iodine. There is Iodine in your salt mix that will keep it at an appropriate level. You will have to do another water change in order to get it down. If you are not seeing stress in your coral you can wait a week or two until you are ready to do another normal water change.

I too would stop supplementing Iodine. You get all the iodine you need in PWC`s. Just do PWC`s and it will return to where it needs to be.

Agree with the previous posters, stop dosing. Besides the possibility of reaching toxic levels, it can contribute to a nifty algae explosion. I will hand it to you though, at least you tested or had it tested, most people just start dosing.

GL!

I just got the Iodate/Iodide kit from Salifert and tested the water in the reef I maintain and found it difficult to read, looked like 0.01 or less for Iodide, and I don't know what for Iodate, I couldn't tell if it was 0.06 or 0.

I would get a kit and test yourself, unless you REALLY trust your LFS.

I'm going to mix up a fresh batch of RO w/Reef Crystals and test that against the current tank water...

Back
Top Bottom