Is 82 degrees too hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WizardHowl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys,
Just wondering if 82 degrees is too hot for a fish tank. I have a 55 gallon, with 4x65 Watt coralife. Two are 10,000 K and Two are blue actinics. I don't have any heater on it, and my apartment is very Air conditioned (constantly at 74-77). I think it has to do with the lights. The tank is covered with glass tops, are these bad? I just started the tank this afternoon, so it probably isn't even the hottest it can get. I have fish in the tank that's why I'm wondering, I treated with bio-spora so don't worry. Thanks!

The two 10K bulbs is more than enough lighting; actinic bulbs are really only useful with salt water. Some like the color they give freshwater fish, so you could go with 1 10k and 1 actinic; it's entirely your preference. Having all four on though seems a little overkill if you don't have any plants. Tank temperature would be more affected by the ambient room temp than the lights, I would think; how hot is it in the room? 82 is in the upper range of acceptable temps.

If you want to lower the temp, take off the glass tops and have a fan blow air across the top of the water. Also check that your heater isn't set too high if you have one.

no, glass tops are not bad. sounds like you dont need a heater right now anyways. if the room is constantly 74-77, then you should be ok, if it gets too hot, cut back on the lights. what kind of fish do you have in there? your tank isnt cycled yet if you set it up this afternoon and treated with bio-spira.

I will eventually have plants, I have eco complete substrate (120 pounds of it) so plants are definately in the future.

catfishface-
I read numerous times that for bio-spira to work, you need to add fish along with the bio-spira. otherwise the bacteria from it won't work well.

I have two platies (mickey mouse, and candy), 5 dwarf rainbows, and 5 rainbow furcatas. I know this seems excessive for a new tank, but from what I've read, you need to put the fish that you want for now in with the bio-spira. Thanks!

8O You have it all together already..holy cow you've been busy :p So how do you like that light? keep us posted so I can follow your progress and don't forget the picks. Good luck!!!

Oh yea...with a new tank make sure you keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels (you most certainly will see spikes) or those fish will have short lives. :oops:

82 isnt too hot if you are housing Discus. I would say that it would be too high for most tropical fish. i keep my heater around 76, which in turn keeps the tank around 77-78. The higher the temp the higher the fishes metabolism, which means that the fishes will age faster.

-Pleco

You should use a heater. It isn't just for heating, but for keeping the temperature stable. Temp swings could stress your fish out. I'd use the heater, but set it on like 80F. Most likely, it won't come on, but its still there in case the temp does drop some (like at night).

Like Buffalo Bill said, keep any eye on the ammonia and nitrite. You will probably see a little, so be prepared to change out some water.

Thanks so much for the tips guys! Yeah I was really hard at work all yesterday to get everything up. The light is very nice, especially with the actnics making the color nice as well.

The test kits I have are 5 in 1 test strips with nitrite and nitrate as well as ph, hardness, and I can't remember the other one. Anway, the nitirite and nitrate as of now say 0, but my fish have only been in for 6 hours. I will check tomorrow in the morning before I go to work, then when I come back..

Back to temperature....
The weird thing is that when my tank was at 82 (it is now at 80 with only the moonlights on), and I had my heater plugged in, the heater light was still on, even though I set it to 75. Maybe my digital thermometer is messed up? I doubt it though... I don't know what to do haha.

The test strips should be O.K. for now but as you get going you'll want to switch over to liquid tests as they are more accurate. I'm not sure but it may be a week or so before you see those ammonia/nitrite levels go up (watch out). Also I've found out that freshwater salt help keep the algae at bay(1 round tablespoon per 5 gal). The experts here should be able to chime in if salt is recommended or not?

Heater temp settings are notorious for not being accurate, from my experience its usually 2-4 degrees hotter than the temp that you set it at. for instance mine is set at 76 and the tank temp is usually 78-79.

-Pleco

I had my heater plugged in, the heater light was still on, even though I set it to 75. Maybe my digital thermometer is messed up? I doubt it though... I don't know what to do haha.

Just turn it down and try to notice the temp next time you see it on.If its on its trying to make/hold that setpoint/temp.As Pleco mentioned its more normal then not for the "setting" to be off...sometimes badly.

I believe you and I have the same lights (mine are on my 90).Does yous have fans?Both of them running?The unit will get very hot if they don't work and still gets warm with em on.

I actualy think the fans are broken, is there anyway to get them fixed? I coulnd't figure out how to get them open (the grates over them).

However, now i don't think its the light because after I turned off all the lights, and only kept the LED moonlights on which have no heat, the water temp is still a good 80 degrees, and keeping that way. What could possibly be heating my tank so high, the heater is totally unplugged! And I'm totally airconditioned right now. Maybe it is a faulty digital thermometer... Also, SCFatz, so you have the coralife? Do you know of any better mounting legs available other than these really cheap plastic clear ones?

Hey Buffalo Bill, are you sure my ammonia/nitrite levels will go up? I used bio-spira and doesn't that cycle the tank fully?

Thanks guys!

Also, SCFatz, so you have the coralife? Do you know of any better mounting legs available other than these really cheap plastic clear ones?
Mine just rests on the tank top.I have a pretty deep canopy so if I decide to move em up I just nail something to the inside and rest the lights on that.

Hey Buffalo Bill, are you sure my ammonia/nitrite levels will go up? I used bio-spira and doesn't that cycle the tank fully?
The product is hit or miss...it will work or it won't.Test it every day to be sure it has....change lots lots of water if it doesn't.

I got my lights used...the wires were rotted for the fans (had been over a FW tank no less).

Anywho....it had to come apart.Turns out it was one fan was bad,but the other was fine.The step down power supply (in the unit) was bad so the good one wouldn't run either.

I had a bud who is the electrical field help me out.I now have two oversized fans and each has its it own plug....they move lots of hot air out...but the unit is still pretty warm....But before the repair it was freakin HOT.

About the tank temp its not an evil heat curse lol ..it takes a while for 55g to cool,give it some time.

Edit:I found a link a while back for the fans..I'll edit again if I find em again.....off to search............

Ahh found it:http://www.aquaticexchange.com/product_info.php?cPath=254_298&products_id=1181

This may help..(bought mine locally at radio shack,but they were more)...but try to be sure its the fans and not the wiring before you kick out the bucks imo.

Either way,get em working if you can....I know how hot this thing can get without em....with no fans you may not ever need a heater lol.

Here in AZ it is not uncommon to have your tank stay between 80-82 for 6 months of the year (how long our summer lasts). I have guppies, swordtails, angels, red eye tetras, plecos, and rainbowfish. All of the fish do fine with the temp between 80 to 82. And when I do water changes the temp goes up 1 to 2 degrees thanks to hot tap water. Don't worry, as long as the temp is constant, the fish will be fine.

When you do adjust that heater turn it down GRADUALLY or you can expect those couple of fish to get sick fast...

my tanks hover at 82-24 degrees and everyone is fine.... breeding even, except one sick boy.

Neither of my tanks are kept below 80. THe downside is that water parameters tend to change faster in a warmer tank. The upside is that it's harder for the fish to get things like ich. It seems like more of a preference to me than much anything.

Back
Top Bottom