Is a Flame Angel a good or bad Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know people that have them in a reef. There are sucess stories out there with them. I`m just saying be ready to tear the tank down if they go bad. They really are beautiful fish but not beautiful enough for me to risk my reef that I`ve worked so hard on for 11+ years if you get what I mean.

I definitely wouldn't put 1 in a 29 and wouldn't put 1 in a 120 if I palnned on any corals. You risk the chance of any angel taking a liking to your corals....except genicanthus.sp angels which are the only true zooplanktivores of angelfish.

I know people that have them in a reef. There are sucess stories out there with them. I`m just saying be ready to tear the tank down if they go bad. They really are beautiful fish but not beautiful enough for me to risk my reef that I`ve worked so hard on for 11+ years if you get what I mean.
I fully understand where you are coming from. It's definitely not worth the risk.

Yes Mike, that's a genicanthus angel. Swallowtail, bellus, lamarck, etc.
Genicanthus

This is a pic from the 500g reef at PSU.
hub-fish2_4-18-09.jpg

Last edited:
My bi-color angel was fed very well and it would nip at my corals. It got to the point that I thought I lost some of them. In fact I lost two Acans because of it.

Back
Top Bottom