Is a fungal bloom deadly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHill33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So about a week and a half ago I noticed the water in my 45 gallon community tank was kind of cloudy(normally the water in all my tanks are crystal clear). Well the next day it was a little cloudier and more noticeable, and our school of 7 Tiger barbs were dead, well as our albino rainbow shark, and the other fish were acting lethargic, so my wife and I did our weekly water change, as it was due anyhow, only we did 50% instead of the usual 20-25%. This did clear up the water a little bit for less than 24 hrs! The next day, when we noticed it was as if we didn’t do anything, we did another 50% water change, and as I was moving decor around I realized the problem... I seen white fluffy like debris, so moving forward with the water change I sucked up all that I could find. After the water change I went to PetSmart and bought some Pimafix and treated the tank. The Very next morning the tank was crystal clear and all fish exhibiting their normal behavior and gathered in front of the glass wanting to eat! I’ve never had a fungus bloom and I’ve been keeping and breeding fish and freshwater shrimp for about 14 years! The week before this happened my wife and changed out our filter media... I’m thinking maybe the media was harboring the fungus and some fell into the tank or something, idk? It just seem to come from out of no where and quickly exploded!

Likely, it was a bacterial bloom instead of a fungal bloom.

The changing out of your filter media likely precipitated an ammonia increase in the tank causing some quick growing bacteria to grow in the tank making the water cloudy.

Did you test the water at all during this time?

Why did you change out the filter media?

I do regular water changes weekly on wednesdays on all my tanks.. when I first noticed the cloudiness it was a Friday and when I checked my parameters 2 days before everything was perfect. The Wednesday before I noticed the cloudiness, everything was perfect, like I said, and it was a week after I changed out my filter media... whatever it was, fungal or bacterial, the pimafix corrected the problem or the problem took care of itself?

Back
Top Bottom