Is a high KH bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thecurly1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wondering if a KH of 8 drops high?i hav well water and ph if 7.6 to 8.0 trying to find the right fish to stock a 36 bow front so I don't hav to worry about the water. Why fight it! Any advice?

I have well water and 8.2 pH. My mollies, platties, gourami and tiger loach seem to be doing ok. I added some aquarium salt, but I've been trying to work with the water I have and will be doing changes with. Unfortunately I can't give more experience than a few months' worth. I was worried the pH was too alkaline, but everything says if you don't shock the fish, they can adjust. But if you try to buffer and balance it, it'll bounce around every time you do water changes. I'd rather not shock them too much, so try not to fiddle with it chemically if I can help it, as everything I've read thus far says to leave it alone.

I have well water and 8.2 pH. My mollies, platties, gourami and tiger loach seem to be doing ok. I added some aquarium salt, but I've been trying to work with the water I have and will be doing changes with. Unfortunately I can't give more experience than a few months' worth. I was worried the pH was too alkaline, but everything says if you don't shock the fish, they can adjust. But if you try to buffer and balance it, it'll bounce around every time you do water changes. I'd rather not shock them too much, so try not to fiddle with it chemically if I can help it, as everything I've read thus far says to leave it alone.

spot on, yeah you will be fine with what you have, i have a KH of 9 and a ph of 8.2 and have never had any issues, even with my freshwater angels who prefer soft water. Most aquarium fish nowadays are farm bred and therefore much more adaptable to different water parameters

Thanks, I was hoping for that answer I really don't want to make it harder than it needs to b. I am just gonna drip acclimate every fish as slow as possible and hope for the best!

Back
Top Bottom