Is a pH controller a good way to control co2 or no

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mijo51380

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just wanted to see what you think about a pH controller to control co2 is this good or bad? Would I be better off to just run the co2 without the controller. It just seem I have to drop the pH a lot to get my levels where they need to be? The pH in the tank is set at 6.5 the tap water is 7.5 if I both sit out over night there both at 8.4

I think Ph controllers are an unnecessary expense, but some prefer them. I just use a solenoid and a timer to regulate co2 during my photo period. Works very well.

Is it bad to change the pH that much when doing water changes. And wouldn't it do the same thing if I didn't use the controller

I'm not clear on your measurements. You're saying your tank's pH is 8.4 if you're not using CO2, but 6.5 with CO2? That seems like a very large drop to me. Do you know what your KH is? It sounds like you're putting a LOT of CO2 into the tank to get that kind of shift. The pH shift itself isn't that big of a deal, but if you have too much CO2, it can certainly cause problems.

The pH in the tank is 6.5 the tap water is 7.5 and if I take a glass of both and let it sit over night it reads at 8.4 I I do use a drop checker and it shows light green to yellow. And I forget the numbers for kh and gh but I know I have very hard water

You're probably running 50-70 ppm of CO2 with those numbers. Is there a particular reason you're running that high? Are you seeing the results you want? Any fish side effects?

Also, was your original question answered to your satisfaction?

So I gave it a few days the plants are growing better and the fish are fine

Back
Top Bottom