Is a red jewel, a jewel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, in a 55 now, with my oscar in a 20.., but this weekend I'm getting a 125 and lots of severums, 4..., craigslist. I'm going to have to make room or head to lfs. Also getting 29, another 20 and 15, and filters. They want to get rid of everything.. maybe I should do a pair of jewels.. just so I can keep my jewel, is pretty, but getting on my nerves right now with all the nipping..

No, not just "technicalities" . Don't throw out random information. It leads to others being confused on the topic. This is how misinformation spreads....

I was thinking of polenni I get there origin and red jewels mixed up not that I need to explain myself to a twenty something year old lol

I was thinking of polenni I get there origin and red jewels mixed up not that I need to explain myself to a twenty something year old lol
No, but clarification on an advice forum is generally a good thing.

If a person refers to a amatitlania nigrofasciatus as a south american cichlid, it gets corrected pretty quickly on here. I'm not doing it to pick on you or anyone else, I'm doing it to make sure that anyone reading it doesn't start repeating inaccurate information.

And my being 21 doesn't really indicate anything. Would you have known any different had I not exposed my age? Probably not. I may lack a bit in overall experience, but I research online constantly to better my knowledge and overall self. I could care less about your "explaining it" or your opinion of me. Fact of the matter is that the statement was wrong, so I corrected it for current and future readers.

With that being said, hemicachromis bimaculatus (and related species) typically don't do well with rift lake setups. They require different water parameters and have different attitudes that don't always match up with rift's very well. Can it be done? certainly. Should it be done? Not my place to say yes or no. Would I do it? No.

Lmao. Calm down. I bought my first jewel from petsmart. Then a few months after that I met a guy that breed cichlids and had friends thy breed them also. I loved it. Between all the people he know there was such a wide variety. I'd go to his house with $10 and leave with a dozen fish. Stocked my 125 fast and cheap

I shy away from hemicachromis bimaculatus for one main reason: market saturation. They are a dime a dozen here and no one really wants them. I'd much rather have a fish not commonly seen, or that's not sold at a big box store, but I do have a great LFS that allows me to maintain that mentality

well, I think they're pretty, but so far in my experience seems mine is a fin nipping meanie.. Sorry to go off topic, but what size tank would I need for a pair? Also, to the OP in my experience I've had peacocks and a jewel, separately.. Did u state you had two peacocks? If so I really don't think them being together would work out well

No, but clarification on an advice forum is generally a good thing.

If a person refers to a amatitlania nigrofasciatus as a south american cichlid, it gets corrected pretty quickly on here. I'm not doing it to pick on you or anyone else, I'm doing it to make sure that anyone reading it doesn't start repeating inaccurate information.

And my being 21 doesn't really indicate anything. Would you have known any different had I not exposed my age? Probably not. I may lack a bit in overall experience, but I research online constantly to better my knowledge and overall self. I could care less about your "explaining it" or your opinion of me. Fact of the matter is that the statement was wrong, so I corrected it for current and future readers.

With that being said, hemicachromis bimaculatus (and related species) typically don't do well with rift lake setups. They require different water parameters and have different attitudes that don't always match up with rift's very well. Can it be done? certainly. Should it be done? Not my place to say yes or no. Would I do it? No.

I know they font do well with rift lake species much different temperaments and types of aggression plus like you said different water parameters they are closer to SA/ca species as far as temperament and requirements I'll upload a puck of my pair when I get home and I know you weren't picking on me you just come across arrogant sometimes I try not to take it personally I was when I was your age too Lol and believe me I do tons of research at home just got my facts mixed up there is a lot of into floating around in this brain Dont worry you'll get there one day too haha but thanks for ckearifying just try to be nicer about it next time !

Back
Top Bottom