Is clamped fins stress?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got 2 gouramis to breed today at the lfs but one i got home I noticed they had clamped fin, at the store the did not have any bad fins, the female spends most of her time hiding but they all ate flakes. The male will sometimes move no fins and be slanted in the water or move fins and be slanted in the water? Is this natural for gouramis when you buy them or are they sick? Is this also fatal If a sickness and will this interfere will breeding? Also I can't treat the tank because its divided and I've got pleco eggs on the other side of the divider. Thanks

It is not unusual for new fish to have clamped fins for a few days as they are exploring the new world and making a new hierarchy. When introducing new fish I would usually dose bacterial medicine for the first few days just in case.

I agree that it is common for new fish to take a bit to settle in. Some more so than others.
What are the specifics of the new tank they are in? Size? Tankmates? How long has it been set up? Is it planted?
You could try doing a pwc to see if the fish perks up a bit if you have not done one recently. Also, try keeping the lights off for a bit while the new fish settle in.

I agree that it is common for new fish to take a bit to settle in. Some more so than others.
What are the specifics of the new tank they are in? Size? Tankmates? How long has it been set up? Is it planted?
You could try doing a pwc to see if the fish perks up a bit if you have not done one recently. Also, try keeping the lights off for a bit while the new fish settle in.

The tank is a breeder, only them with rocks and a fake plant they live I a 20 gallon and was setup for 2 years I don't want to add any treatment as I said of it being divided with pleco eggs and the treatment might kill the eggs off

Back
Top Bottom