Is cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcala

Aquarium Advice Activist
Part of the cycle? It's not very cloudy only a little. I'm also not over feeding, the fish devour the food under a min or 2

A new tank will almost always go through a bacterial bloom which causes cloudiness. It will go away with time. If it really bothers you a uv sterilizer should get rid of it.. but that's an expensive investment which isn't necessary since the bacteria is of the harmless variety 99.9% of the time

A new tank will almost always go through a bacterial bloom which causes cloudiness. It will go away with time. If it really bothers you a uv sterilizer should get rid of it.. but that's an expensive investment which isn't necessary since the bacteria is of the harmless variety 99.9% of the time

It's not really that bad I just to make sure that the cycle is happing cause it's been 3 weeks and levels haven't dropped, my LFS kind of ****ed me and told me I could get a nice amount of fish and ill be good.. Now I have 2 filters and do wAter changes a lot -.- I found this page to late!

It's not really that bad I just to make sure that the cycle is happing cause it's been 3 weeks and levels haven't dropped, my LFS kind of ****ed me and told me I could get a nice amount of fish and ill be good.. Now I have 2 filters and do wAter changes a lot -.- I found this page to late!

What are your levels at? Also what size setup do you have along with fish stock? It might be a good idea to take one of your filters out, put it in a clean Rubbermaid tote, and do a fishless cycle in there. You could potentially have a fully cycled filter within a week or 2. Sorry about the bad advice from the lfs tho... That sucks. It's the same situation when filter companies have people convinced to change their filters monthly. More dead fish for you means more profit for them.

What are your levels at? Also what size setup do you have along with fish stock? It might be a good idea to take one of your filters out, put it in a clean Rubbermaid tote, and do a fishless cycle in there. You could potentially have a fully cycled filter within a week or 2. Sorry about the bad advice from the lfs tho... That sucks. It's the same situation when filter companies have people convinced to change their filters monthly. More dead fish for you means more profit for them.

My levels are all good but the amm are at .5-1 ppms.. They haven't dropped yet! I have a 20 gallon running a penguin 100 AND penguin 150 HOBs...Black knife
Pleco
Small yellow Molly (F)
2 full orange tetra (pair)
2 Dalmatian mollies (F)
Yellow sailfin Molly (m)
Yellow curtail (F)
snail
Black and orange Plattie
Blue gourami... I do have a spare 10 gallon tank! Would I just move the penguin 100 over, get a new filter? And run a cycle in that? Or since my penguin 150 has 2 slots put that filter media in there?

Thanks!!

My levels are all good but the amm are at .5-1 ppms.. They haven't dropped yet! I have a 20 gallon running a penguin 100 AND penguin 150 HOBs...Black knife
Pleco
Small yellow Molly (F)
2 full orange tetra (pair)
2 Dalmatian mollies (F)
Yellow sailfin Molly (m)
Yellow curtail (F)
snail
Black and orange Plattie
Blue gourami... I do have a spare 10 gallon tank! Would I just move the penguin 100 over, get a new filter? And run a cycle in that? Or since my penguin 150 has 2 slots put that filter media in there?

Thanks!!

Wow. With that stock in a 20g uncycled tank.. you are doing an amazing job on the water changes. If you are showing nitrites or nitrates at all you have nothing to fear because your cycle is moving along. I dont usually recommend this but you might try some bottled bacteria in your main tank to speed up the process. But yes, I would move the smaller filter to the 10g tank and do a fishless cycle on that tank, if you have nitrates showing already it might be possible to finish a fishless cycle in less than a week.

As for adding another filter after removing the small one, it would be like adding a powerhead to the tank not really accomplishing anything. But if you use one of the filter pads from the larger filter in there it might help things out.

My nitrates are at 0, and my nitrites are also at 0. My list of fish is old I noticed, I only have 4 mollies 4 platies, a pleco, and a BGK.

Back
Top Bottom