Is DIY CO2 a Waste of Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon tank with DIY CO2 set up. At first, my plants really started growing like crazy but lately it doesn't appear like they're growing at all.

My mixture is as follows. I have two 500ml bottles with this mixture in each:

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/16 tsp brewers yeast

Then I also have a third bottle that both lines from the reactors go into before going into the tank.

As for a diffuser, I have a small Elite underwater filter that I use as a powerhead to "spray" the CO2 bubbles throughout the tank.

I change the mixture in both bottles once a week.

Basically, I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time. I have two 14w 5000k CFL bulbs on the tank, but I've contemplated switching to an AquaticLife T5HO like I have on my 36 gallon. Should I just ditch CO2 and stick with pure high lighting?

Pure high lighting is a recipe for algae, unfortunately.

If your plants aren't growing, they're being limited on something. I could be that your diffusion method isn't working particularly well (I'm not sure how well those little Elites work as a diffusor, the bubbles may be to large). More likely is that your plants are limited on a non-CO2 nutrient, like nitrogen or a micronutrient. Are you properly dosing the tank?

I don't dose at all because I have shrimp and I don't want to harm them with chemicals.

What's the absolute BEST diffuser I can use with DIY?

What else do I need for proper growth?

The fert thing is probably what's holding you back. Can you test your nitrates to see what they're at?

As far as ferts go, if you dose according to the instructions on any liquid fertilizer, you shrimp won't be in any danger. Most dry fert dosing regimens also won't bother them (although EI might need to be toned down a little bit).

pH - 7.0
Nitrate NO2 - 0ppm
Nitrate NO3 - 0ppm

I currently have EHEIM torf peat in my filter to lower my pH for my OEBT shrimp, but I'm planning on starting to use RO water from my LFS to keep the water crystal clear. I don't like the tannish tint that the peat gives the water. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Is that NO2 or NO3? My API test kit calls them both Nitrate.

How would I go about fixing that?

I have two bottles of Flourish, but I haven't been using them because I heard that you shouldn't use it with vals (I have some) and some other plants.

Please let me know which ferts or chemicals I should buy.

No3 is nitrate, no2 is nitrite. Excel can melt vals but flourish comprehensive is fine.

I NEVER even noticed that. I read them both as "nitrate".

Anyway, do you think Flourish comprehensive will do the trick or do I need other ferts as well?

Flourish comprehensive is a micromix, it does have a little bit of macros in it, but ideally you'd want to dose a micromix, N, P, and K. Possibly iron also, but Flourish has some in it.

Okay. Seachem makes NPK mixes as well, so I'll just get those. So that and CO2 will fix my problem?

I've been looking around... Would a Hagen Bubble Ladder work okay with my yeast DIY? The reason I've been looking at this one is because it's designed to work with DIY systems. Then with Flourish and the NPK, I should have super green plants!

I decided against the bubble ladder and I'll stick to what I currently have. I currently am running my CO2 through a powerhead-type device and it sprays it into the tank. I lowered the powerhead all the way to the bottom so the bubbles have maximum exposure to water.

I also ordered some Flourish Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus on Amazon. Combined with my Flourish comprehensive that I already have and DIY CO2, my plants should be pretty healthy. I mean, they're green now, but I want them to be GREEN! :)

I have been using a PVC counter current reactor that is described in multiple locations on in the forums and it has done an incredible job in helping my plants grow. I currently have it hooked up to a Maxi-jet 600 since I don't have a canister filter. I have been growing out DHG and a couple of sword babies from a mother plant in my 10 g and everything is growing really well.

I have been using a PVC counter current reactor that is described in multiple locations on in the forums and it has done an incredible job in helping my plants grow. I currently have it hooked up to a Maxi-jet 600 since I don't have a canister filter. I have been growing out DHG and a couple of sword babies from a mother plant in my 10 g and everything is growing really well.

This style of reactor is generally called a Rex Grigg reactor. I've used it inline with a canister filter and it worked fine for me.

That's the kind of reactor I'm looking to do when I do CO2 on my 36 gallon. However, I only have DIY on a 10 gallon now and it's just too small of a tank for all that equipment to be inside.

I have a canister filter on the 36 gal though, so I may just run it straight into the filter with an in-line reactor.

Back
Top Bottom