Is hard water ok for plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrage22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Doing some research, most people seem to say plants prefer soft water. However my tap water (soft) keeps flucuating its pH so i'm thinking about going to the hard water from the outside faucet being hard water doesn't flucuate so much (I read that somewhere:confused:). Also, some guy at my lfs said the salt added in the tap water from the water softener could kill some plants ? ? ?

abrage22 said:
Doing some research, most people seem to say plants prefer soft water. However my tap water (soft) keeps flucuating its pH so i'm thinking about going to the hard water from the outside faucet being hard water doesn't flucuate so much (I read that somewhere:confused:). Also, some guy at my lfs said the salt added in the tap water from the water softener could kill some plants ? ? ?

Stable pH is important for fish, plants don't care IMO. I have hard water, a pH of 7.8 and all my plants are doing great, except when my Moors tear them out because they don't like my aquascaping technique lol.

my water has been at the top of the scale if not over it..and the plants I got from mfdrookie516 are finally doing well (light issue), in fact in a few weeks I'll be offering to rehome some of my water sprite since it thinks it can take over my tank...its out growing the rest of the plants atm

Hard water is better than water softened with salts. My water is a little hard and my plants grow well.

Back
Top Bottom