Is it ich or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cattrah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm sure this is asked a billion times.

10g
1 guppy
1 platy
3 ghost shrimp
0,0,5, 7.8

Tank has had fish in it for about 2.5 weeks after 5 week fishless cycle.

We went out of town for the weekend (fish were only not fed for one day), the light stayed off the whole time. They were looking/acting great when we left. When we returned, both fish had about 5 or 6 tiny white dots only on their fins. I immediately thought it was ich and was preparing to treat by turning up the heat but since I wasn't able to carefully monitor the temperature until today I've waited to start raising the temp. Today (2 days since we got home and resumed regular feeding/light schedule) the guppy is completely spot free and the platy has reduced number of spots and no new ones have appeared on either fish. So now I'm confused if this is ich at all and if I should still turn up the heat. Everyone in the tank is still vigorous swimmers and eaters.

It sounds like it was. I would keep the heat up for a week, just in case. When my tank had ich turned up the heat for two weeks just to be safe. Never had an issue with it since. My fish tolerated the heat very well :)

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

Yesterday almost all spots were gone. This morning they are back with a vengeance on only the platy so I'm turning up the heat today and tomorrow. will leave it up for two weeks and do frequent PWCs. Hopefully my hesitation doesn't cost any lives.

Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom