Is it possible to repair broken plastic on bow-front tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonatheber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 46gallon bow-front tank. Today, for whatever reason, the plastic that runs across the middle of the tank decided to break (see pictures below). I have it clamped so there is no chance of the thing breaking apart. I went into Home Depot, and they suggested using epoxy to glue the sections back together.

Is that likely to work? Any other suggestions? There has to be SOME way to connect the two halves back together effectively.

IMG_4421 (002).jpg

I have a 46gallon bow-front tank. Today, for whatever reason, the plastic that runs across the middle of the tank decided to break (see pictures below). I have it clamped so there is no chance of the thing breaking apart. I went into Home Depot, and they suggested using epoxy to glue the sections back together.

Is that likely to work? Any other suggestions? There has to be SOME way to connect the two halves back together effectively.

View attachment 389867
I'd be skeptical that it would help because epoxy will only attempt to hold the pieces together vs using something like Weld On which will actually melt the pieces into a single piece. Have you tried contacting the tank manufacturer to get a new top rim? If you go with Weld On, use the #16 which is more a gel than the #4 which is more a liquid. Lower the water level in the tank until the 2 parts come together then protect under the area being fixed to prevent any glue from getting into the tank. ( I use a sheet of styrofoam to float with some paper on top of it to catch any drips. ) Leave the tank level lowered for at least 24 hours and use your clamps to make sure the repair is tight. (y)

Back
Top Bottom