Is it safe to put Shrimp in a guppy fry tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brennan32

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,so recently i set up a grow out tank for my newly born fry. I was wondering if shrimp would be safe to put in the tank? As i have always wanted some also i have heard they multiply fast is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What type of shrimp are you considering and can you give more information about the tank (size, it is planted, etc)?

I keep shrimp in a couple of my guppy tanks. Not expensive shrimp or hard to take care of shrimp and they do fine. But yes we need some more info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't do ghost shrimp, they can be aggressive and eat fry. I would go with cherries, I have had no problems with them

Agreed there. I had ghost shrimp who literally fought my betta for food in a 29g before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

+1 on the ghost shrimp, also because the possibility of the shrimp being a macrobrachium and that's no Bueno!
I'd recommend RCS or Amano shrimp

Sent via echolocation

Ok
What is a macrobrachiem? I know there are different kinds of shrimp that are refered to as ghost shrimp, some fresh and some brackish etc and you can go to Florida and catch them yourself.

Ok so i know that you need some more info. I have just a standard 20 and 10 gallon tank set up yo house my guppies and fry. As for the type of shrimp I'm not to sure as I don't know many shrimp kinds but i really like the red cherry shrimp.

Ok so i know that you need some more info. I have just a standard 20 and 10 gallon tank set up yo house my guppies and fry. As for the type of shrimp I'm not to sure as I don't know many shrimp kinds but i really like the red cherry shrimp.

Cherries and other Neos have pretty straightforward care. They do best in an established tank and benefit from things like cholla wood, leaf litter, and mosses.

Ok
What is a macrobrachiem? I know there are different kinds of shrimp that are refered to as ghost shrimp, some fresh and some brackish etc and you can go to Florida and catch them yourself.

It is similar in appearance to ghost shrimp, however, as the name implies, it has pronounced first appendages/claws. It also grows larger than ghost shrimp and can hunt small fish.
Yes, several species of ghost shrimp along the Atlantic Coast (I've seen them in VA).

Red cherry shrimps, they clean the tank and breed in it too, I have 5l plastic container with dozen danios fry and 6shrimps and some are carrying eggs

Back
Top Bottom